Worthwhile upgrade for arthritis sufferers

Karakoram

My wife loves cycling, but finds operating the trigger shifters and brake levers (combined Shimano units) to be very difficult at times, due to arthritis. The thumb push movement to operate the shift lever as well as pulling the brake levers is very painful for her. Arthritis flare ups are bad at times, but most days it remains noticeable in her hands.

I figured that perhaps a twist shifter would be easier for her to operate and ordered a 7 speed SRAM unit from REI.com. (Nice site, very quick service).

This weekend I fitted the twisters and also two new Avid V-brake brake levers. (The previous brakes and shifters were combined units as often fitted to entry-level bikes). The SRAM twisters were very easy to install and to hook up to the existing Shimano derailers, both front and rear. They are supplied as a front and back set, complete with gear cable and new three quarter rubber grips for $19. See http://www.rei.com/s...ifter+-+7+Speed

The test ride today proved to be a resounding success! The twisters are way easier for her to operate and the new brake levers provided much better brake modulation. The end result was very little pain and much gain. Big smiles all round.

Edited by Karakoram