Chainreaction Cycles - Elite Volare Fluid Trainer

deriknell

Hi

I want to get an Indoor trainer as I dont have time to go riding at the moment.

I am looking at the Elite Volare Fluid Trainer at Chain reaction Cycles .com

Any advice on indoor trainers? I see u get Magnetic and then fluid. Which one is better?

Also , what other accessories do I need to get when I buy a trainer.

I have a GT Avalanche Mountain Bike.

Please help , any advice would be greatly appeciated

Also , is Chaineactioncycles.com reliable?

Don't know much about indoor trainers.

But, used CRC twice. Good service: quick delivery, no problems. Will use them again.

In terms of which is better I suppose it depends how you define better and what you expect from the trainer? Some trainers are noisier than others and I dont know the Elite range myself, i use the cycleops super magneto pro which I'm verry happy with. I would check one out locally first before I bought offline. Also work out exactly what it will cost you to land the trainer here after VAT, duties etc. although trainers are duty free if I'm not mistaken. A lot of the guys here use CRC without any issues, you can search for their name and plenty threads will pop up. I did notice that they've exaggerated the suggested retail prices of some of the trainers, some of them you will get cheaper here. Some local agents won't honor warranties of goods ordered from CRC, apparently the Tacx agents are one. So basically just know what you're ordering and how much it will cost you before you order and weigh up if it's really worth it. Indoor training can be boring as hell so don't go spend a fortune till you've tried one out. In term of accessories you should use a hr monitor and whatever entertainment possible I suppose. Good luck!

I have tried 2 elite trainers and liked them both. Its not the same model as the one you are looking at though.

If I remember it works like this:

Magnetic - quiet-medium noise, resistance increases linearly with speed (which I don't have a problem with, but apparently its less realistic)

Air resistance - very noisy, resistance increases similar to how it would on the road (double the speed is 4 times the power, or something (cant remember my physics right now)

Fluid - Best of both - quiet and similar to on the road.

You will also need a trainer tyre for your mtb. The knobblies are very noisy and wear down quickly.

My advice, get a cheap spare wheel that will be your trainer wheel. Its easier changing wheels rather than changing tyres (especially if you run tubeless)!

First prize for me is I managed to scrape together enough old parts to have a dedicated trainer bike. The less hassle it is for me the less chance I'll make an excuse.

I have either music or tv on while I train. Animation movies or heavy music are my best.

Thanks Guys , Much appreciated.

Will go and check out the Giant range and take it from there.

Thanks a mil