Team Intellibus: SA Track Champs 2012

Chrispy

SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL TRACK CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012

Team Intellibus returned from a very well-run National Championships which was held on the Alexandra Park track in Pietermaritzburg from 26-30 April 2012. The track which was not used for competition in the last 20 years underwent a refurbishment in the past 2 months and riders were impressed with the condition of the track itself.

The team had an outstanding championship with all 9 riders adding to the medal tally at the end of the 5 days of racing.

Both the Elite and Junior Men categories were well represented with the best riders in the country which led to fast, competitive and exciting racing.

The Elite 15km Scratch race was held under floodlights and was one of the highlights of the championships, with a field of 34 riders the 15km race started at a ferocious pace with all the top riders and teams active in the action. Coming down to a bunch sprint, Renièll Matthysen finished a strong 3rd behind Nolan Hoffman and James Louter & being completed in just 18min51sec.

In the Elite 1500m young Brent Pheiffer jumped the field at the gun and stayed away to win Gold. He won the trophy which his father, Wayne Pheiffer, won in the year he was born, 21 years ago.

The Elite Sprint Final was exciting with the event going to a 3rd and final ride between the 2 best sprinters in the country after Jeanne Nell was relegated in the 2nd ride. Unfortunately for Nell, Jean Smith was alert to take advantage and win the final ride and the title, Jeanne Nell made up for this error by winning both the 1km TT in an impressive time of 1:06.1 as well as winning the Keirin Final with ease.

In the Junior category Shane Pheiffer won the 1km TT in a time of 1:09.5 as well as silver in the Junior Keirin and Junior Sprints.

Maroesjka Matthee, who crashed 1 week before the championships in a motor pacing session, showed her toughness and determination, dominating the Elite Ladies category and winning 6 Gold medals.

As a team the results were:

· Gold in the Elite Team Sprint (Brent Pheiffer, Jeanne Nell & Boyd Roberts)

· Silver in the Elite Team Pursuit (Brent Pheiffer, Hannes Basson, Reniell Matthysen & Boyd Roberts)

· Oliver Stapleton-Cotton as part of a combined Junior Team Pursuit won Silver in that event.

Individually there were some outstanding performances:

· Jeanne Nell – Gold Elite 1000m TT, Gold Elite Keirin, Silver Elite Match Sprint, Silver Elite 1500m

· Brent Pheiffer – Gold Elite 1500m, Bronze Elite Keirin, Bronze Elite Match Sprint

· Renièll Matthysen – Bronze Elite 15km Scratch, Bronze Open 50km Madison

· Boyd Roberts – Silver Open 50km Madison

· Shane Pheiffer – Gold Junior 1000m TT, Silver Junior Keirin, Silver Junior Match Sprint

· Oliver Stapleton-Cotton – Bronze Junior Elimination

· Maroesjka Matthee – Gold Ladies Match Sprint, Gold Ladies Keirin, Gold Ladies 500m TT, Gold Ladies 7.5km Scratch, Gold Ladies 10km Points & Gold Ladies 1500m.

· Owen Lloyd – Vets 45-49 - Silver 7.5km Scratch, Bronze Match Sprint & Bronze 1500m

-end press release-

:drool: Following the proceedings from the Cape, I was most impressed by the coverage on Twitter by CycleNation - almost as good as being there (except when they ran out of tweets during the elite mens points event!).

Well done to Intellibus and one must also takes ones hat of to Tasol who pretty well dominated the "indurance" events. The madison showed some brute power with Hoffman and Perry taking 3 laps on the rest of the field.

A good event all round but don't think there was any media coverage?