Bleeding Avid Juicy 5 Brakes

RavenShield

OK, so bled my Avid Juicy 3's this weekend with DIY kit as described above. Thanks guys. Was a bit of a mission as the plastic screw-in goodies leaked a bit at the caliper end so I ended up using some plumbers tape to seal the threads. Used two small needle nose pliers with zipp ties on the handles to make the clamps. You just slid the zip ties up and down the handles to lock and release.

The result is that my brakes are now much firmer with much better feel. So very happy with result. Being the first time, the whole process took me about 3 hours but I could probably do it in under an hour now that I know the drill.

I do think that the proper Avid bleeding kit would make it a whole lot faster and easier but if you're only going to bleed every 6 months or so, it's maybe not worth the money. But as I said, having the correct tools would make it easier and probably recommend the kit for those who are less patient and do not enjoy fiddling to get things to work.

Also, make sure you have spares of the plastic screw in things as the threads tend to get mangled. They're cheap enough so this is not a train smash.

If we could get some metal ones of these "screw in things" it would really help. Anyone have any ideas on this ?

Also anyone know where we could get some clamps similar to the ones in the kit ? The needle nose plies trick I used worked well was was a bit unwieldy. Anyone have any better clamp ideas ?

OK, so bled my Avid Juicy 3's this weekend with DIY kit as described above. Thanks guys. Was a bit of a mission as the plastic screw-in goodies leaked a bit at the caliper end so I ended up using some plumbers tape to seal the threads. Used two small needle nose pliers with zipp ties on the handles to make the clamps. You just slid the zip ties up and down the handles to lock and release.

The result is that my brakes are now much firmer with much better feel. So very happy with result. Being the first time, the whole process took me about 3 hours but I could probably do it in under an hour now that I know the drill.

I do think that the proper Avid bleeding kit would make it a whole lot faster and easier but if you're only going to bleed every 6 months or so, it's maybe not worth the money. But as I said, having the correct tools would make it easier and probably recommend the kit for those who are less patient and do not enjoy fiddling to get things to work.

Also, make sure you have spares of the plastic screw in things as the threads tend to get mangled. They're cheap enough so this is not a train smash.

If we could get some metal ones of these "screw in things" it would really help. Anyone have any ideas on this ?

Also anyone know where we could get some clamps similar to the ones in the kit ? The needle nose plies trick I used worked well was was a bit unwieldy. Anyone have any better clamp ideas ?

Going to get those screw thingys this afternoon

wot size do i ask for. Have elixer 5

Going to get those screw thingys this afternoon

wot size do i ask for. Have elixer 5

Think that there's only one size so just print out a picture of the "plastic screw type things" and match it up at your Builders Ware House or Builders Express at the irrigation section. Seems like a poplar part for irrigation maintenance.

I hope you find an alternative to the plastic connectors. If I see something, I will let you know.

Fortunately I have a bleed kit. Once you know how and have done it several times, it only takes 5 to10 minutes. The more times you push the fluid through, the more air you remove from the system.

Here's a picture of the bleed kit aok and I made. Cost about R25 for the syringes, bit of tubing and the little black connectors. Then just used some super glue to stick them together. Fully bled two brakes today and worked perfectly. Got a 250ml tin of DOT 5.1 from MIDAS for R36...

post-31769-0-50086800-1336502158.jpg

Here's a picture of the bleed kit aok and I made. Cost about R25 for the syringes, bit of tubing and the little black connectors. Then just used some super glue to stick them together. Fully bled two brakes today and worked perfectly. Got a 250ml tin of DOT 5.1 from MIDAS for R36...

post-31769-0-50086800-1336502158.jpg

this works. i just built mine,

but dont buy those black garden tubes.

do to the pet shop and get fishtank air-line, its clear tubing, so you can see the bubbles coming out of the system..

Brilliantly thought out Cardern. Bugger the bike shops!!!!