What MTB wheels to buy?

The Ghost

I believe that all Fox forks work with 27.5. Best you check on 650bpalace and not just take my word on it.

Solomons currently have a brilliant deal on Fulcrum Red Metal 3's. I believe that the bearing service on these wheels are expensive, but they have been bomb proof through the last 2 years and still run good as new.

DT SWISS 1540'S - In my opinion the best 26" wheels

Definitely not the best, that hands down goes to ENVE carbon rims mated to Chris king hubs.

Budget? Intended use?

Ah, good questions.

MTB X-Country, and the odd bit of all mountain.

Budget is as yet not determined - Im not keen on setting limits and ending up with something I replace anyway; I am interested in what you feel is the best value for the money though.

:thumbup:

just got my missus a set of Easton EA 90's ... INSANE!!! ... you cant get better

Aahh, but do Easton do a 27.5" ?

Ah, good questions.

MTB X-Country, and the odd bit of all mountain.

Budget is as yet not determined - Im not keen on setting limits and ending up with something I replace anyway; I am interested in what you feel is the best value for the money though.

:thumbup:

Value for money you have to go for ZTR rims. The new crest ex are lighter and stronger and wider than the already amazing crests. I don't like the hope hubs, they're obnoxiously noisy and everyone has them. Rather spend a bit more on a decent set of hubs, will make all the difference. Chris king, white industries or DT Swiss 240S.

My next two questions are, do you know who in SA is selling 27.5"'s (heck I cant even find 'em on CRC)? And, can I use my existing hubs?

Your best bet is to order from sixfifty.com. Shipping to SA is around $60 and they usually have stock. You can source locally as well, most of the guys I spoke to are expecting stock in the next week or so. Locally, you can source the ZTR Crests and Flows.

From what I hear pretty much all the ZTR 650B rims are accounted for already, Spoke Works may have some 650B rims for custom wheelsets, tyres & spokes are an issue though. You can use any hub for the 650B wheels.

Call Jason at International Trade (oh ate 3 seven 1111 oh seven). I hear he's building up a few wheelsets with Hope hubs for some Hubbers at the moment because his prices are so good. He will advise you on some alternative rims which may be a better buy than ZTR. But he will still do them if that's your preference.

They are also going to be launching a new brand of steel 650/29er frames soon too.

Edited by slick

• 3 weeks later...