Pannier attachements: Adding your own

nicolaasdekker

Dear Hubbers, (see bold for jist of question and skip out on all my blubbering)

I am a new, full time commuter in Grahamstown, I own an Avalanche ATX 175, a very basic steel framed "MTB" styled bike.

My problem is thus: I have managed to make a plan in attaching the rear rack for my daughters baby chair, however, I am finding that my 90kg; plus my daughter's weight; plus my work bag; plus her school bag that all this weight is, not only producing a very unbalanced bike, but putting a lot of stress on the back wheel.

I want to purchase fork mounted pannier racks to distribute the weight more evenly. Has anyone added their own attachment points to a steel bike before? Is it possible?

post-28170-0-02384200-1339534036.jpg

I assume you're loading all this stuff all at once?

The only way to successfully attach carriers to the front wheel is by way of a fork that has brazed-on sockets for capscrews. This can be done but it will be far cheaper for you to source a fork with all of that already on there.

Failing that, I'll direct you to a place in the UK that sells all the hardware and then someone locally can braze it on for you.

However, I won't worry about the stress on the back wheel. Once that fails, have it rebuilt professionally and it will handle the weight without a sigh.

I assume you're loading all this stuff all at once?

Yes

The only way to successfully attach carriers to the front wheel is by way of a fork that has brazed-on sockets for capscrews. This can be done but it will be far cheaper for you to source a fork with all of that already on there.

Think I will do that, the chunky fork on this bike grates me anyway.

However, that still leaves the problem of braze-on sockets on the back fork.

However, I won't worry about the stress on the back wheel. Once that fails, have it rebuilt professionally and it will handle the weight without a sigh.

I do worry because my daughter is on the back and do not want to risk injury in case of failure. Also the bike is unbalanced, and I am planning to start getting the right kit for cycle touring so racks back and front are a must.

Plus I'm poor! and I wont be able to take money out for a more suitable bike for a while.

Remember brazing will mean repainting the frame as well

I am aware but not fazed, as long as the spot is sealed against rust I don't mind what it looks like, I actually like the 'rat' look and it helps to prevent theft.

Mainly I was wondering what sort of tradesman I should approach and what sort of possible ways can said tradesman stuff up my bike.

Poverty and frame modifications can't be used in the same sentence. Sorry.

I suggest you find an old Giant ATX 870 or 890 frame somewhere and build your components over. That will give you all the right braze-on fittings on the rear which will be sturdy enough for the job. These are aluminium frames. Now for the front, start looking for a second hand steel fork with the said fittings already brazed on. Brazing on thin bike tubing is not a job for the average tradesman. It requires skill and an understanding of bicycle tubing.

Cycling racks are expensive. Cycling bags even more so.

Thanks for your reply Johan, you don't mind if I interrogate you a bit? All for the enlightenment of a newbie.

Poverty and frame modifications can't be used in the same sentence. Sorry.

Actually I would wager that modifications are generally the arena of the non-rich; those that cannot go out and simply buy/import the right stuff.

These are aluminium frames

My bike, as stated in the OP, is in fact a steel frame. Unless you are referring to the Giant frames, in which case my question would be: why would that be better?

Brazing on thin bike tubing is not a job for the average tradesman. It requires skill and an understanding of bicycle tubing

Okay, but who can? Are there bike builders in SA? Aren't there any fellow hubbers who are highly skilled artisans?

Cycling racks are expensive. Cycling bags even more so.

This is true, especially if you buy expensive gear (a tautology I could not resist :P )

However, a decent set of forward and rear racks can be bought for less than R1000 (gestimate pending confirmation based on brief look online)

As for the actual luggage you decide to hang/mount on your racks, the options are vast as can be found with a quick browse online on foreign DIY cycle tour websites and blogs.

Have you considered a trailer? By the time you've bought panniers, bags and done the brazing......

Yeah, that option has always been nagging at me. But there does not seem to be a do it all trailer... either great for tar or great for dirt, and always a pain.. I like having everything together without adding extra length and inherent weaknesses to the system.

I have a seat for my single speed and a trailer for the full sus. Neither is good on dirt. Trailer is more convenient in that mine can fit luggage under seat and unhitching is a 10 sec exercise. Just thought it would be easier than brazing mounts. Trailer is much more stable than rear mounted sead too and I never find the length a problem.

Thanks for your reply Johan, you don't mind if I interrogate you a bit? All for the enlightenment of a newbie.

Actually I would wager that modifications are generally the arena of the non-rich; those that cannot go out and simply buy/import the right stuff.

My bike, as stated in the OP, is in fact a steel frame. Unless you are referring to the Giant frames, in which case my question would be: why would that be better?

Okay, but who can? Are there bike builders in SA? Aren't there any fellow hubbers who are highly skilled artisans?

This is true, especially if you buy expensive gear (a tautology I could not resist :P )

However, a decent set of forward and rear racks can be bought for less than R1000 (gestimate pending confirmation based on brief look online)

As for the actual luggage you decide to hang/mount on your racks, the options are vast as can be found with a quick browse online on foreign DIY cycle tour websites and blogs.

I did refer to the Giant frame. It is alu. I mention it simiply 'cause it is old and you'll pick one up cheap cheap and, it already has all the hardware sewn in - just fit the panniers and go. Other such frames may also be available but I can't name them.

My point is that a frame transplant will be far cheaper than a brazing job. I can do the brazing for you but remember, Im in Jhb. the lugs have to be imported from the UK and and and and. It is expensive.

However, if you want to pursue it, contact me via e-mail and I'll put you in touch with the suppliers of such lugs. Start shopping around for a steel MTB fork.

I have a seat for my single speed and a trailer for the full sus. Neither is good on dirt. Trailer is more convenient in that mine can fit luggage under seat and unhitching is a 10 sec exercise. Just thought it would be easier than brazing mounts. Trailer is much more stable than rear mounted sead too and I never find the length a problem.

I read somewhere that bike trailers will soon be illegal. Will look for the link