Chain jumping on rear cassette.

MirageF1

It is a hard tail MTB. Is the right size hanger. Just recently started doing my own maintenance. I checked everything and it seems to be in order, only thing that worries me is the cassette wobbles a little bit.

Has the cassette been removed from the free hub recently? If so check that the cassette has been tightened. You need a cassette wrench for this. I don't know SRAM so well but on some shimano cassettes and free hubs a spacer is sometimes added over the free hub before the cassette is put on to the free hub. You can check for either of the above mentioned problems by removing the wheel from the bike and trying to wiggle the gears around with your fingers. If you feel any free play you have your problem.

Have you still got your old chain? It might be worthwhile putting it back and see if this solves your problem. I don't agree with TNT1. I have seen chains ruined in much less than 500 km let alone 1600 km. It all depends on the type of riding you do, as said before one extremely muddy ride plays havoc with your drivetrain.

It might be worthwhile investing in some form of chain measuring device for future use. They are not expensive and will help you to replace your chain before it "stretches" so much that it starts eating your gears until the look like sharks tooth.

Just one last thing. Are you sure it is the correct chain for your sprocket, for instance 10 spd chain on 10 sprocket?

Good luck with solving your problem!

A while ago one of my friends asked me to help him with his jumping chain. I tried most "easy" remedies. Then I put on my reading glasses. I asked him about the history of the chain. He said he changed it recently. It turned out that he tried to run a 7/8 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette.