cape pioneer platinum upgrade package

Colin (bigC)

I actually did the drive from Oudtshoorn to Prince Albert and back in the car, as I had to skip that day, and it took about an hour each way. Coming from the crappy Gauteng traffic we drive every day, that's not too bad.

That said, your suggestion is even better. Its the best of both worlds - the road trip factor with the comfort. Even with all the driving and the accomodation, it will definitely be cheaper than 'platinum' upgrade. The only catch is to find a good second.

Damn, now I'm getting excited for next year...

Find a a young mechanic you trust or can do a half decent job and pay him a couple of bob to be your second and tech support. If you have mates who want to do the ride, you share the expenses.

Even better, convince the family to come along. 2010 and 2011 I had my wife and daughter come along and they were my support crew. While I was riding from Mossel Bay to George, they went to the beach and were at the finish when we were done.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an alternative to B&B's, do what we did. I had a support vehicle with caravan and booked place in the "mobile home area". Worked like a charm as I didn't have to pack each morning and wherever I am, "home" is. Worked beautifully! And it's cheaper than B&B's each day.

Thanks for suggestion, Musashi. But, with all due respect to those who love caravaning, I would say that anything that involves routinely emptying out a toilet does not constitute as a holiday. smile.png

Thanks for suggestion, Musashi. But, with all due respect to those who love caravaning, I would say that anything that involves routinely emptying out a toilet does not constitute as a holiday. smile.png

No emptying of toilets required. We're at the race village so use their facilities (and enjoy the vibe). But I can sleep tight in the worst of weather, I have a support "crew" that wash my kit and bottles and I don't have to pack up every day. Worked great for me!

Find a a young mechanic you trust or can do a half decent job and pay him a couple of bob to be your second and tech support. If you have mates who want to do the ride, you share the expenses.

Even better, convince the family to come along. 2010 and 2011 I had my wife and daughter come along and they were my support crew. While I was riding from Mossel Bay to George, they went to the beach and were at the finish when we were done.

Good idea. Interviews for a soigneur for my team next year are now open!

No emptying of toilets required. We're at the race village so use their facilities (and enjoy the vibe). But I can sleep tight in the worst of weather, I have a support "crew" that wash my kit and bottles and I don't have to pack up every day. Worked great for me!

That immediately sounds much better. How far did you tow your trailer?

That immediately sounds much better. How far did you tow your trailer?

Technically I didn't. My dad did (with my bakkie). And it is his caravan.

From Still Bay to all the overnight stops and back to Still Bay was 1100km.

Ok, I am back. Sorry had to get to my laptop, since typing on the phone is a mission.

I booked the Platinum Upgrade package. This was advertised in a similar way than what the Cape Epic accommodation upgrade package was advertised. So, having done the Epic package and knowing what I received there, I decided to book this upgrade for myself and the customer for whom I was paying. Obliviously I wanted to impress the customer by making sure I treat him. Also since this package cost nearly double that of the Epic package I obviously expected more (shoot me for that assumption)!

What was advertised:

The Platinum upgrade is for the teams that are looking for a little more pampering and luxury.

These riders stay in guest houses and hotels where available, and will also have the services of a driver/host as well as a sports massage therapist.

1 vehicle per 4 platinum package teams

1 driver/host per 4 platinum package teams

1 sports massage therapist per 4 platinum package teams, with a 45 minute session per rider per day.

Breakfast at your hotel/guesthouse where possible

Race bag delivered to and collected from your accommodation location

Transport between accommodation and the stage location

4 platinum teams will be placed together and also share a vehicle, a host/driver and a sport massage therapist. Riders and their bags will be transported between their accommodation and the race village.

As this was advertised in exactly the same way as to the Cape Epic package for which we paid about a R1000 per day per person, the expectation was as follows (since here we pay R1810 per day per person):

We will be introduced to the host upon registration. The host will inform us of exactly where and when he will be picking us up etc. We will genuinely stay in top B+B’s and Hotels. We will have a dedicated therapist which does the treatment at the place where you stay. We will have a dedicated driver as per 4 teams. We will indeed get breakfast at each venue we stay. We will get a gift drop at our rooms and be treated as VIP’s. So as expected you pay for a platinum package and expect to be treated as a platinum customer.

What was given:

We arrived at the registration and no-one knew that we ordered and paid for the upgrade.

We were given a number to call and were not introduced to our host.

Our vehicle was used to transport 12 riders

Our host also had to host all these extra riders.

We had to go back to the main massage area and book with the therapists that were also massaging everyone else that booked and there was no dedicated therapist allocated for Platinum members. In fact the therapists did not even expect us, as she was not informed of us.

We were not offered any breakfast at the guesthouse and were told that breakfast had to be eaten at the main tent with the rest of the crowd at the main tent (as per organisers)

We were given really cheap accommodation even though there was indeed better accommodation around.

At one venue we got a room where we had to share the bathroom with 6 other rooms and did not even get a towel at arrival in our room.

We paid R1850 per person per night and literally received a room which cost R280 per night (excluding the one without the bathroom, which was probably not more than R100)

So even though this is a great race!! And I will definitely do the race again. I will never ever order their upgrade package again and would also not recommend this to anyone.

PS: IF YOU DO COMMENT ON THIS POST, PLEASE BE MAN ENOUGH TO PUT YOUR NAME! NO USE HIDING UNDER A PSEUDO NAME AS ONE OF THE ORGANISERS.

good news! The organisers has come back to me with the following: It is great to see that they handled this appropriately and are willing to correct shortcomings in their offering!

As stated before, we became aware of certain shortcomings with regards to our platinum packages for the 2012 bridge Cape Pioneer Trek and as was promised we will offer you a fair solution.

We had a thorough de-brief and the following was decided:

The Platinum package will consist of the following in 2013:

• 6 nights accommodation from the Sunday evening of the prologue until the Saturday of the final stage (not Saturday evening)
  • Dedicated driver/host and bus per 4 teams at your disposal from the prologue morning
  • Sports massage therapist (45 min session per person) per 4 teams at your hotel/guest house where possible
  • Breakfast at the hotel/guest house where possible
  • Separate Platinum package welcome table at registration with your host present
  • Hotel/Guest house with at least a 3/4 star grading (we have to take in account traveling times to and from the race village)
  • Race bag pick up, delivery and transported between hotel/guest house and race village
  • Lunch and dinner at the race village

Your continuous support is extremely important to us and we would like to rectify the situation and have decided to upgrade this package on all levels.

In 2013 this package will probably sell for around R 21 000.

Our offer:

• a R 4000 per team refund on your platinum package for this year or;
  • next year’s package at R 16 000 (R 5000 discount)

We believe you will find this offer fair and we hope to have all of you back in 2013.

good news! The organisers has come back to me with the following: It is great to see that they handled this appropriately and are willing to correct shortcomings in their offering!

As stated before, we became aware of certain shortcomings with regards to our platinum packages for the 2012 bridge Cape Pioneer Trek and as was promised we will offer you a fair solution.

We had a thorough de-brief and the following was decided:

The Platinum package will consist of the following in 2013:

• 6 nights accommodation from the Sunday evening of the prologue until the Saturday of the final stage (not Saturday evening)
  • Dedicated driver/host and bus per 4 teams at your disposal from the prologue morning
  • Sports massage therapist (45 min session per person) per 4 teams at your hotel/guest house where possible
  • Breakfast at the hotel/guest house where possible
  • Separate Platinum package welcome table at registration with your host present
  • Hotel/Guest house with at least a 3/4 star grading (we have to take in account traveling times to and from the race village)
  • Race bag pick up, delivery and transported between hotel/guest house and race village
  • Lunch and dinner at the race village

Your continuous support is extremely important to us and we would like to rectify the situation and have decided to upgrade this package on all levels.

In 2013 this package will probably sell for around R 21 000.

Our offer:

• a R 4000 per team refund on your platinum package for this year or;

• next year’s package at R 16 000 (R 5000 discount)

We believe you will find this offer fair and we hope to have all of you back in 2013.

Gees, doesn't get any better than that. 10/10 to Dryland.

Now you accept the refund and put it towards organizing your own accommodation next year.

At the B&B's we stayed at in Calitzdorp and De Rust, the owners picked us up, drove us back for massage, back for dinner and then dropped us at the start the next morning. In De Rust the B&B owner even gave us his car to drive to the start , because we wanted to be there a little later than he did. We just had to leave his car parked with the key under the mat. Now that's what I call service.

If I do Pioneer next year, my wife will be there. 20 years of Physio experience and she will give you her undivided attention during each massage session.

That 5k will do the same as the 16k for the Platinum upgrade.

if you are looking to have a great ride on your bike for days and not worry about food , warm water , accommodation ,bike wash and the like : one word - joberg2c