Shifting issues (Ultegra 6700 rear)

Organic

Just to follow up on this (sorry Meezo, missed your message):

I got the hanger alignment checked. It was slightly off, but not hugely. I got that perfected.

The shifting action certainly changed, but it looks like it just moved the won't-change-up and won't-change-down problems closer together. So I ended up with the three smallest gears (11, 12, and 13) that wouldn't change up or down nicely, particularly under pressure.

I then swapped in the spare hanger. Again the shifting action changed a little bit, and I was able to find a cable tension where the shifting works if I shift carefully.

Currently, after the chain and cable have had some more time to wear themselves in, it is working fairly well, so I'm happy with the performance. It's fairly borderline though, and a single notch on the barrel adjuster would make it either not change up or down properly.

So for the moment I'm sorted. Thanks all for your suggestions. I can't really give a definitive answer as to what is/was wrong, but I suspect it's a combination of the things that Johan mentioned above:

- hanger alignment

- cable

- jockey wheels (I cleaned an re-lubed these)

I also suspect that my shifter has some manufacturing imperfections that make things worse than they could be.

I haven't tried is replacing the jockey wheels. I have a spare set on order, and I'll try swapping those out next time I have the problem.

Edited by Organic