Camelbak Lobo vs Magic

Nancy Drew

I am currently using CB's Charm (woman specific - very small) and want to upgrade to something a bit bigger for Sani2C (more packing space & liquid capacity)

I think that the M.U.L.E. might be overkill, but quite like the Lobo and the Magic.

I am torn between the 2 and could really use some advice

I've been using the Lobo for the last 2 seasons. Great pack, not too big but big enough to pack everything you need for a full day in the saddle.

Your only concern might be the length of the Lobo. Not sure how tall you are, try it on while sitting on a bike & make sure it feels comfy.

No thoughts on the Magic - sorry.

I give the Lobo a thmbs up! Have done 3 x Sabie Experience with mine and is perfect for this type of race. I use a Camelbak MULE for the Epic (I need a bit more packing space to actually take my lunch with.

I've got the Lobo and the Mule... as they say more packing space in both especially if you need to pack some extra goodies like a derailer hanger Smile

But it also all depends on how much fluids you take in during a marathon ride. I have 1.5, 2 and a 3 L bladder and depending on weather I could take my Mule with a 2L bladder and still pack all the goodies escpacially if you ride in a group and someone needs something.

If I'm not mistaken, the Magic is the woman's version of the Mule.  I'm worried about having too much unnecessary packing space and therefore added kg's on my back.  I keep all my spares in a saddlebag

mmm I don't believe in a toolbox... it gets muddy. I would say go for the Lobo... but then again maybe the Magic is not that huge and having the extra packing space is a bonus.

Chances are good with this weather that I'll need a spare hanger!

I have completed a Sabie Experience with a 1.5l bladder; with at least 3 waterpoints on the stage races I'm not too concerned about running out of liquids...... the question is:

is it better to have just the right capacity or a little extra (just in case)???

I would say having a little extra is always good:

Here is a Camelpack checklist for stage racing so check what u'll need and if you will have packing space - remember you can always share between urself and partner.

Camel Back Check List (stage racing):

1 x tube

2 x bombs

2 x energy bars

Muffins/peanut butter honey zaam

bananas

Duct Tape

Cable ties

Sunscreen, Lip ice

Master links, Spare links

Multitool with Chainbreaker and tyre levers

Tweezers, Pliers

Tyre repair kit (plugs)

Spare Derailleur Hanger for your brand bike

R50-00

spare cell in waterproofing ziploc bag

Space Blanket

Whistle

nancy, that x-tra space weight about 100gr max. Its light material.

Its better to have that one and you can use it on all ocasions.

The weight factor is how FULL you make the bladder, not the x-tra material

i.m.o

Well, I think the Lobo gives you enough space.

On marathon races I normally pack in the following:

2x tubes

Puncture repair kit (yes, yes, going tubeless this winter..)

Multitool (incl chainbreaker) & magic link

Rainjacket

Energy bar/gels

And about 1.5L of fluid.

Nancy' date=' pm BBBR, I think she got the woman's version of the M.U.L.E. It looks very nice.[/quote']

I have the Mini MULE (actually for kids 5 years and older - which I am Wink)and takes 1,5l and has quite a bit of storage space, it is small enough to fit well on your back.  I find the larger ones tend to be to long and is not comfy at all - will never change to anything else.

Popeye, the last thread about weight was actually meant for you... I don't know how it ended up in the general forum Embarrassed