Cycling row ‘threat to Tour’

Fubar

http://capeargus.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

MAJOR CHANGES: Rider licence registration causes clash between sport bodies

CYCLING SA has warned that if the Pedal Power Association does not embrace changes to the national body’s constitution, events such as the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour could be in jeopardy.

One major change requires cyclists, even those taking part in fun rides, to apply for a licence with Cycling SA.

Association chairman Steve Haywood said the licensing fee was nothing more than a tax that would have a negative effect by discouraging casual riders from taking part in events.

Cycling SA said it was the complete opposite and that the mandatory licensing would go great lengths towards nurturing the sport in South Africa by unifying cycling in the country through a standardised system.

The Pedal Power Association has filed an application to the Western Cape High Court in a final attempt to reach an agreement with Cycling SA. IF THE Pedal Power Association (PPA) and Cycling South Africa cannot reach an agreement over changes to the national body’s constitution, one of the first victims could be the world’s biggest timed cycling event – the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour.

The PPA has filed an application to the Western Cape High Court to contest changes in 2012, which it claims saw them being written out of Cycling SA’s constitution.

These changes included a requirement that all riders taking part in events, even fun rides, would have to be licensed with the national body.

But the PPA lashed out at Cycling SA, calling the licensing fee a tax that would stunt the growth of local cycling, adding that it also put the association and its events at whims of Cycling SA, effectively taking control out of the association’s hands.

However, the national body warned that if the PPA did not conform with these changes, events such the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour could be declared unsanctioned, barring Cycling SA’s licensed riders, which includes most of the country’s top cyclists, from taking part in the event.

PPA chairman Steve Haywood, whose association facilitates the Cycle Tour, said: “In reality, (these licensed riders) represent just 1 percent of the number of people who take part… It won’t be a massive blow, but it would be unfortunate. I don’t see (Cycling SA) declaring it unsanctioned. It would see hundreds of top riders missing out on a chance to compete.”

He said the association could not agree to the “illegal” changes to the constitution if it meant compromising the majority of their riders.

“You can’t tax people for going out on a fun ride… Most of our rides take place for charities, now what is going to happen? Young people want to take part, and now the poor child has to take out a licence. Casual riders are just not going to see the benefits of this. All the money goes towards funding the pro riders instead.”

An annual licence costs R75, while a one-day licence is R30.

Haywood said the association was keen to remain in the fold of Cycling SA and that is why it had spent most of last year trying to negotiate an agreement. The application, and possible court battle, will be the association’s final attempt to try and find a middle ground.

But William Newman, the president of Cycling SA, said resources were being wasted on fighting changes that were ultimately beneficial to the sport. “I don’t see the licence as a tax – the licensing is necessary… It’s a way for us to unify the sport and nurture athletes,” Newman said.

He pointed out that if all riders were licensed, it would be much easier to facilitate the sport as could be held accountable to the same standards. It would also be easier to nurture talent if riders were brought into the system at an early age.

Newman said that Cycling SA was held accountable for the safety of all cyclists at events, and the mandatory licence would help administrate this.

“The court case is a blow to the stomach,” he said. “If it comes to arbitration, I want it stop there.”

some of the commends on the argus website

·

Jan Vosloo26 minutes ago

Its been some years that I've been opposed to the 'license' fee. You need a 'license' to cycle and even a 'license' to run. And if you don't have one you must buy a 'one day license' at the event. This is just people who see the volumes of runners and cyclists on the road and think "hey what if everyone could give me R75, that would be nice". Quite similar to Sanral I would say. If a body is needed to secure safety in running and cycling events and to ensure standards are maintained, let it be funded by the government - from taxes - as it should.

anothersod35 minutes ago

There is a move a foot to try and close Killarney Race track and an online petition against it. Why not open an online petition against this license thingy?

·

ps24640 minutes ago

o

how does a license fee "nurture talent"? non sequitur much?

·

Shrubberan hour ago

How cool would it be to revert to a full-on old fashioned fun ride? I'd love it!

·

guest101an hour ago

I think this Newman characters' cycling shorts are too tight!

·

Mikean hour ago

Someone always wants to parasite off others. E-toll and cycling fees. What next? Pay to walk?

o

a licence to breathe.

o

absolutely

i'm with steve on this one

·

Paul Matthewsan hour ago

News flash to William Newman--we cyclists see your interference as a tax so put that in your hubby-bubbly and smoke it. Like every other other sport in this country, some interfering national body will ruin it.

·

Viv1an hour ago

We need to stage a protest about this. Lets organize a mass ride around the Cape Peninsular on the 2nd Sunday in March next year. I am going, who will join me?