Paul Cluver Amphi Bike Park opens to the public

News bot

BlinkFan, where was the closed gate? Before you get to the buildings or after turning right at the buildings?

When I got to the top where the buildings are we went right (according to the signage) and then into a closed black electric gate.

When I got to the top where the buildings are we went right (according to the signage) and then into a closed black electric gate.

im afraid you might have gotten lost as at no point in my countless times I've been there, ever encounter closed gates or electric fencing, so sorry your day out was spoiled.

So there are 2 entry points, via Pail Cluver or carry on further another 1km or 2 on the N2 to Thandi-Paul Cluver & start from the farm stall there. If entering at the PC then you follow the tar road between the Kromco Apple factory, cross the railway line, you get to the PC security boom. Where you make payment there & get issued your temp bike board for the day.

im afraid you might have gotten lost as at no point in my countless times I've been there, ever encounter closed gates or electric fencing, so sorry your day out was spoiled.

I was just following the signage. And 50m before the gate there was a sign. Going straight up the road you get to a massive building with a sign to go right for MTB. ANd then about 50m later a close gate.

GPS coordinates for google maps: -34.169449, 19.087261

So there are 2 entry points, via Pail Cluver or carry on further another 1km or 2 on the N2 to Thandi-Paul Cluver & start from the farm stall there. If entering at the PC then you follow the tar road between the Kromco Apple factory, cross the railway line, you get to the PC security boom. Where you make payment there & get issued your temp bike board for the day.

We were at the Paul Cluver entrance. Stopped at the boom and the guys gave us the permits. Then proceeded up to, where i presume, the restaurant is. And at the big buildings turned right.

Thanks, will try the other entrance next time.

The one and only time I ridden there, I parked at the buildings (before going right) and rode my bike to the closed gate. There is a path to the right of the gate going around it with a pedestrian gate you have to unlatch. Not sure if it's legit but that's how I got in, and out and I saw others doing the same.

Edited by Nick.

We were at the Paul Cluver entrance. Stopped at the boom and the guys gave us the permits. Then proceeded up to, where i presume, the restaurant is. And at the big buildings turned right.

ok sounds like you were at the right place then. It's just I never encountered that closed gate before hence it got me baffled that you might've been at the wrong place.

There is a big black gate after the wine tasting, going down to the Amphitheatre, and it is usually closed. The few times I have been there, I park at the winetasting and pay for entries. The important part is to ask for the gate code because the ladies behind the counter don't give it to you as a matter of course! Then drive down to the gate, unlock it and park at the Amphiteatre and have fun!

There has been so much good work done there but some of the trails really need to be fine tuned and the 'skills park' needs some direction markers and fine tuning to make it safer. As it stands right now, I think it has some dangerous sections for begginners trying to improve their skills (mostly badly made berms and jumps and corners int he wrong places)

i went yesterday. the last time i went was about 3 weeks after w2w and to do the big loop you went a different way to how it is now. you go to the tasting room to pay then the number board they give you should have the gate code on it. you can get round that big gate though, theres a little gateway you can go through but if you just do that and bypass the paying bit then well.. well you shouldn't do that.

i went wrong a few times riding the big loop. some of the signage isn't quite there but generally i was really impressed. it was terribly over grown and falling apart when i went last. it was so bad that once i got up near the road on the big loop i climbed over the fence and rode back down the n2 to get back to my car. it was miserable. i found one the amphitheatre stuff at the start of the big loop a bit scary for me so i just walked that bit. i imagine you could get into a lot of trouble if you weren't realistic about your ability but for me, there were good challenges and things to use to work on issues.

Thanks for the replies.

So then seems like I was at the correct place, but the final signage and instructions just weren't up to scratch, therefore the confusion. Was just weird that we got the number boards from the guard at the boom and he just didn't know what was going on and no one else was on site to help.

I'll give it another try though.

Thanks for the replies.

So then seems like I was at the correct place, but the final signage and instructions just weren't up to scratch, therefore the confusion. Was just weird that we got the number boards from the guard at the boom and he just didn't know what was going on and no one else was on site to help.

I'll give it another try though.

Yes, it is confusing. I felt a bit awkward just rounding the closed gate, until I saw some fellow riders who must have done the same further down the road.