Crankset help

ilitirit

I need to find a replacement crankset for my bicycle, and it's been very challenging to say the least (I don't know much about bicycles myself).

From what I can gather of the net and spec sheet, these are the specs for the original crankset:

- 170mm crank length

- 52T chainring (7 speed bicycle)

- Square tapered, two piece bottom bracket

I've mailed and visited about 10 dealers/shops and it seems noone is able to help me. According to someone I spoke to at CycleLab, the main problem is the chainring. He said finding a crankset with those dimensions + 52T chainring. I understand that I can get a chainring with a different number of teeth and it will affect gearing, but I don't mind as long as it's not too bad and the crankset actually fits.

This is a picture of the original crankset:

http://i.imgur.com/AKnpkdX.jpg

If I order it from overseas, shipping costs work out to 40% more than the actual crankset!

Does anyone have any recommendations? At this point all I really want is something that will fit on the bike and will cost under R1000.

My opinion is that you will battle to find a single blade crankset like that locally. The only ones I know of are for single speed and being in fashion they are pricey. You could use any road double bladed crank with a square taper BB and simply remove or not use the small ring. The blade will be marginally further away from the frame than with the original crank but 7 speed is very forgiving. Should be able to find a second hand one for very little. If you don't come right with something down there I have one lying around.