Giovanni Pinarello passes on

Dazshell

Just heard on Vuelta commentary that Giovanni Pinarello, the founder of Pinarello (the real ones) passed away yesterday at age 93. Team Sky all wearing black patches on their sleeves is a sign of respect.

I raced a Pinarello Montello SLX in the early 90's and happened to be on holiday in Italy in 1992. I was in Treviso (Pinarello's home town) and looked up the local Pinarello bike shop. Giovanni Pinarello happened to be there and I started to chat to him about how I loved my bike and about Miguel Indurain who had recently won the Tour on a Pinarello.

He offered to show me round the factory so I hopped into a Pinarello branded car full of carbon disk wheels (!) and we drove off to the factory where he gave me a personal guided tour, showed me his maglia nera (black jersey - for the last man in the race!) from the 1951 Giro, let me sit on Indurain's bike that still had a Tour number on it and gave me a signed poster of Big Mig! His son Fausto (who runs Pinarello today) took some pictures of us with my camera.

I'll never forget that day. RIP Mr Pinarello.

Just heard on Vuelta commentary that Giovanni Pinarello, the founder of Pinarello (the real ones) passed away yesterday at age 93. Team Sky all wearing black patches on their sleeves is a sign of respect.

How can you tell? Edited by Blackbeard