Trans Baviaans 24hr Race - Pedal for Prosthesis Initiative

Irene Lotter

Trans Baviaans Cyclists –  Let’s Make a Difference

Pedal for Prosthesis Initiative – Caleb Swanepoel

We believe that the ability to endure the Trans Baviaans is minor in comparison to what lies ahead of Caleb.
So here's the thing....it takes a mere nano second for an unexpected incident to alter the ordered and anticipated course of one's life!
This life changing occurrence took place in the life of 20 year old Varsity student, Caleb Swanepoel, on the 27th June this year, whilst on a family holiday at Buffels Bay. Out in the surf with his brothers having a great time body surfing...and then BOOM !!....the nano second came and in a flash he was on the sand, minus one leg, bleeding to death and struggling to survive. A miracle intervened causing the main artery in what was left of his right leg to spasm which effectively saved his life. If that hadn't happened I probably wouldn't be writing this to you!!
He survived the ordeal but what now?
The entire physical, emotional, educational and financial course of his life has irrevocably been re programmed.
We are going to make these changes less of a challenge by smoothing the financial difficulties with which he will be confronted for a long long time.
Why Caleb? Why us? Well we are two enthusiastic mountain bikers who, through a series of bizarre co incidences got to know about this young man which took him out of the statistic category in our lives and resulting in his cause resonating strongly within both of us. We like what we see!
Caleb has never asked for anything, but we know that his path to rehabilitation is going to be an immense financial burden as an appropriate prosthesis with all the associated therapy costing over One Million SA Rands. Yes you read correctly!! Medical Aid trauma benefits don't get close.

On this note we appeal to you, about to embark on an endurance event of the highest order, to assist us please. When you cross the finish line your challenge will have been conquered and it will be over until the next time you choose to tackle it.
Help us to bring Caleb's finish line closer!!

Make a contribution and help Caleb reach his dreams!  Irene and I will be at registration to acknowledge this by giving you a helmet sticker. Wear the sticker for the race and show YOUR SUPPORT.  An advance contribution will be appreciated just so that we can get your sticker pack ready. Any last minute donations will readily be accepted at registration.
Aan al die Afrikaans sprekende deelnemers vra ek verskoning dat die nie betyds vertaal kon word  nie. Ek glo jul sal verstaan. Geluk met jul deelname en sien almal daar.
Volg Caleb op sy Facebook blad vir sy vordering en ook updates!

Account name: Caleb Swanepoel Support Fund
Bank: Nedbank
Type: Current
Branch code: 198765
Account number: 1107515017
SWIFT NEDSZAJJ
Remember to reference your name and or race number and send confirmation (VERY IMPORTANT) to Jan's email:

jan.gutsy@gmail.com
OR SMS  0825654053
Our target is at least R100,000.00
Many many thanks and have a great ride...see you there!
Jan and Irene.

Archived