Rust De Winter 4X4 MTB Race 2015

Vlakvark T

Another well organised MTB race at Rust de winter by the 4x4 Club. a GEM OF A COURSE. Is definitely one of my favorite mtb challenges. Done yesterday in mud and lots of water. Big Climbs, fast downhill, singe tracks - Jeep track through game reserve. Nice camping site . Huge Apiesdoring tree. I AM BACK THERE IN 2016

Was it yesterday......damn. Love that race.

Always a bit of mud around. Sometimes the heat catches you out. Then there is that one steep rocky climb to the top of a koppie.....the scene from there always nice. What was the river crossing like just before the end of the race? Two-three years ago it was just above hip height due to constant rain.

Have to remember next year.

I’m willing to say this was the best race this year close to Pretoria.  This 4x4 ooms en Tannies knows how to organise, I think Advendurance need some training from them  :ph34r:  :whistling:

I’m back for 2016 even if the date is the same as some other event

Was it yesterday......damn. Love that race.

Always a bit of mud around. Sometimes the heat catches you out. Then there is that one steep rocky climb to the top of a koppie.....the scene from there always nice. What was the river crossing like just before the end of the race? Two-three years ago it was just above hip height due to constant rain.

Have to remember next year.

bone dry, not a drop

1st time I've done this race, but cant say I agree with all the comments above.

I came to do a mtb race, putting un-rideable hills on the route to me is not right. I dont mind short sections where you may have to walk, but hills up to a km long are not on.

Route markings were ok, but the one at the bottom of the steep downhill with the sharp left turn was badly placed, causing the leading ladies and a few others to take a wrong turn. Fortunatley they didnt have to go to far before a gate blocked them and the ladies managed to get back on the correct route without being passed. Singletrack !! I was expecting a lot more considering where we were riding. There was singletrack all over the place but for some reason we got to ride very little of it and were kept mainly on jeep track. Barbwire on the route, there was one section where we had to ride over uncovered barbwire (the other section was covered with a rubber mat). Bridge with slats missing, caused some heavy braking - wouldnt have been that hard to replace the slats. Otherwise not to bad a route.

We spent the weekend there and the campsite is very nice, but could encourage more people if they changed/did a few things. Friday - no hot water, no toilet paper in the ablutions. No braai facilties on the campsites, had to hire a braai for R50.00 a night. Suspect reception controller, when I arrived alone, I had to pay my R100 for the weekend. No receipt or registration taken down. Just my R100 for sticker. When friends arrived later, with others they had to give their names, registration etc. !!! Wonder what happend to my R100 !!!

Maybe without having to walk 1km uphill and a few other changes the number of participants would improve, instead of dropping from 500 to 200 !!!

Turned out to be an expensive race for me - lost my sunglasses...

SUCKS!

But other than that, I enjoyed it.

Hey MJ

I picked up a pair of glasses on the route and was going to give them in at the end but forgot about them and only saw them when I was emptying my pockets at home.

PM with a description and we can male a plan for you to pick them up.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek: , but hills up to a km long are not on.

There was singletrack all over the place........

Maybe without having to walk 1km uphill and a few other changes the number of participants would improve, instead of dropping from 500 to 200 !!!

There is a MTB race in Dullstroom where there is a mother of a hill 12km long, another race usually in December at Sedgefield where the first 15km is just climbing, Magoebaskloof also has a few that is a bit longer than 1km..........and then there is Sabie. Van Gaalens also has its share. A 1km walk should be 10min of the bike :thumbup:, nice time to enjoy nature, take a breather and have some fluids.

The singletrack in that area usually has some of those nice big thorns that can really spoil your day........because it is not utilized that often to clear it from those nasty buggers.   

There is a MTB race in Dullstroom where there is a mother of a hill 12km long, another race usually in December at Sedgefield where the first 15km is just climbing, Magoebaskloof also has a few that is a bit longer than 1km..........and then there is Sabie. Van Gaalens also has its share. A 1km walk should be 10min of the bike :thumbup:, nice time to enjoy nature, take a breather and have some fluids.

The singletrack in that area usually has some of those nice big thorns that can really spoil your day........because it is not utilized that often to clear it from those nasty buggers.   

Yes, but those hills are rideable, Ive done them

I just dont see the point off putting in hills that arent rideable.

If i cant ride a hill because I'm not fit enough or its too technical, then that is my problem.

When you do a race and the KOM winner walks a hill, thats not the riders problem.

1st time I've done this race, but cant say I agree with all the comments above.

I came to do a mtb race, putting un-rideable hills on the route to me is not right. I dont mind short sections where you may have to walk, but hills up to a km long are not on.

Route markings were ok, but the one at the bottom of the steep downhill with the sharp left turn was badly placed, causing the leading ladies and a few others to take a wrong turn. Fortunatley they didnt have to go to far before a gate blocked them and the ladies managed to get back on the correct route without being passed. Singletrack !! I was expecting a lot more considering where we were riding. There was singletrack all over the place but for some reason we got to ride very little of it and were kept mainly on jeep track. Barbwire on the route, there was one section where we had to ride over uncovered barbwire (the other section was covered with a rubber mat). Bridge with slats missing, caused some heavy braking - wouldnt have been that hard to replace the slats. Otherwise not to bad a route.

We spent the weekend there and the campsite is very nice, but could encourage more people if they changed/did a few things. Friday - no hot water, no toilet paper in the ablutions. No braai facilties on the campsites, had to hire a braai for R50.00 a night. Suspect reception controller, when I arrived alone, I had to pay my R100 for the weekend. No receipt or registration taken down. Just my R100 for sticker. When friends arrived later, with others they had to give their names, registration etc. !!! Wonder what happend to my R100 !!!

Sorry, I think you are only complaining because there was no 5 star accommodation at the site

This is one of the better small MTB routes i ride in Gauteng. Did you see all the Zebras and Gemsboks . Yes also walk my 1 KM but so what.  

This race was much better organised as the past Nissan series (seems you also did not do Hakahana). Definitely no problem with the road markers - just a little bit of concentration needed. ( Don't need to -6 -  10 km extra and try to pass slower batches)

Enough COLD water and coke. Better than some Big races organised in Gauteng this year.

I agree on the cold water in the camp, I  could also do not have a warm shower the Friday night but so what.

The campsite was excellent with unusual lot of birds and frogs and all other insects and the tallest Apiesdoring tree i ever seen.

If you want 5 star accommodation - there is nearby lodges where you can stay with 2 ply toilet paper.

I am definitely back next year for the nature part of this race.

Chilled out and enjoy the ride sometimes.

Yes, but those hills are rideable, Ive done them

I just dont see the point off putting in hills that arent rideable.

If i cant ride a hill because I'm not fit enough or its too technical, then that is my problem.

When you do a race and the KOM winner walks a hill, thats not the riders problem.

Do you feel the same about steep downhills that might require you to use the last gear we all have........

......or obstacles that is just not ride-able?

Sorry, I think you are only complaining because there was no 5 star accommodation at the site

This is one of the better small MTB routes i ride in Gauteng. Did you see all the Zebras and Gemsboks . Yes also walk my 1 KM but so what.  

This race was much better organised as the past Nissan series (seems you also did not do Hakahana). Definitely no problem with the road markers - just a little bit of concentration needed. ( Don't need to -6 -  10 km extra and try to pass slower batches)

Enough COLD water and coke. Better than some Big races organised in Gauteng this year.

I agree on the cold water in the camp, I  could also do not have a warm shower the Friday night but so what.

The campsite was excellent with unusual lot of birds and frogs and all other insects and the tallest Apiesdoring tree i ever seen.

If you want 5 star accommodation - there is nearby lodges where you can stay with 2 ply toilet paper.

I am definitely back next year for the nature part of this race.

Chilled out and enjoy the ride sometimes.

Not complaining about 5 star accommodation, we camp at most of the races we go to. Just a few suggestions.

Did do Hakahana, race and normal riding, on my rigid singlespeed.

Didnt have any complaints about the watering points or about the campsite itself, and hope to be back next year.

If there's a race, if numbers drop any more it may not be viable. Maybe a few changes would encourage people to come back.

Do you feel the same about steep downhills that might require you to use the last gear we all have........

......or obstacles that is just not ride-able?

Havent really found a downhill i cant ride, and i ride with a rigid front fork.

Archived