Ultegra 6800 or Look Keo Max pedals?

da rosa

Other pedals only allow rotation of the foot. Q-factor has to be set by positioning the cleat.

The espresso allows lateral (Q-factor) freedom if 2.5mm as well as 15 degrees of rotational freedom.

The pedal uses two bearings to support the pedal body.

Stack height is low at 9 mm.

Cleats are unobtrusive .

Engagement tension can be set to three different positions

Raptor please give us some more input regarding the Expresso pedals.The Expresso pedals gives 2 different kinds of float and is really recommended by some bikefitters abroad.Angular and lateral float.

Thanks guys for all the advice seeing pedals is a contanct point on the bike.

I used the Time expresso 6 peddles for just over 2 years. Great for the knees due to the adjustable float but:

- Bearings wear out very quick, lots of movement and  creaking when you stand. They were replaced twice under warranty in 2 years &

- The cleats wear out very quickly.

Have just switched back to Shimano, got the ultegra 6800. No problem, knees feel fine. had to drop my saddle 2mm due to the lower stack hight

Hi Raptor.15 Degrees rotational float is a lot.Thanks for explaining the lateral part as well.

I am very tempted to go for Expresso 6 but everyone is complaining about the durability issue of the Expresso pedals.

Why are the pros using Look Keo Max?

The only TIME pedals I have worn out had titanium axles .

Look is popular in the pro peloton because of option of rigid binding. That does not work for me.

Espresso 10 (regular bike) and Mavic Zxellium Elite (indoor bike). The mavic is similar to the espresso 4or6 as they a licensed reproduction.

before that I used 

RXS x 2

Impact Titanium & Impact S

Racing Titanium and Racing S

At times I have switched to the Look Keo and Shimano designs. They're nice but I just feel more comfortable being able to move my feet around so they have never stayed on my bikes longer than 3 months.

The espresso 10 does require you to clean the facia plate on top of the pedal. Its aluminum so it builds up oxide and that squeaks a bit fro time to time. The Mavic Elite has a steel plate so its doesn't have that probem.

My RXS is 10 years old.

I had the Impact Ti and s for about 6 years. Sold both pairs and they're still going strong under their current owners.

I retired the racing ti and Racing S because the cleats became hard to find and the pedals were pretty heavy but they were good enough for Greg Lemond to win the 1989 and 1990 TdF on the design.

Edited by raptor-22

The 6800 pedals allows for tension subject mention. 

Shimano cleats allow you to choose your float.

* Red - Fixed

* Blue - 2degree float

* Yellow - 6degree float

Edited by venom1

How does the difference in float,or pivot difference affect the actual float if I have a knee issue and prefer a nice amount of float.I see most SA pros use Look.Sponsored pedals?And most are using the normal Keo Max not the blade.

Honestly cannot say what the difference is for biomechanics on the different pivot locations. will do some more research and look at the differences.

The blade pedal is a really high cost pedal and for a local pro who probably gets the pedals at wholesale cost it makes more sense to buy the pedal for 1500 instead of 2500 for a similar feeling pedal. 

Also doubtful a local pro would want to spend money on pedals every few months due to crashes...