Felt bikes

FreakishlySlow

I challenge anybody to tell the difference between the Raleigh' date=' Felt and Merida carbon frames in a blindfolded test. All frames must be fitted with the same components, wheels, tyres and all must have equal tyre pressure. R1 000 says you won't tell the difference.[/quote']

I suspect this might be quite a short test ride...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[Got this off the Felt website: "All Felt adult bicycles and bicycle frames (Road' date= Triathlon, Speed, MTB, Cruisers, Comfort), except Shot models, are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects in material and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner" [/quote]

I can find this on the american site, but not the co.za one...maybe you don't get that guarantee in SA.

Be carefull on basing info on the international sites.Had an unpleasant experiance with a Fuji frame basing info on the international site(which the importers here quote in their local advertising),contact the importer and ask them what the warranty is.Also find out if you do have a claim if the frame will be immediately available locally or does it first have to be sent from overseas,this could take a month or longer if its the latter.

Phone them tomorrow and speak to Justin. He is the National sales Manager. I have dealed with them in the past and have received great service. Justin, and their CT rep Jorg, are super cool okes. Always willing to chat.

Then phone Cycle Factory for the best deal in Cape Town.

Felt is definately the way to go. I ride a Virtue One and it's one of the best dual suspension bikes out there. Sorry for the rest that anything close costs twice as much!

Felt SA

(043) 726 3116

Phone them tomorrow and speak to Justin. He is the National sales Manager. I have dealed with them in the past and have received great service. Justin' date=' and their CT rep Jorg, are super cool okes. Always willing to chat.

Then phone Cycle Factory for the best deal in Cape Town.

Felt is definately the way to go. I ride a Virtue One and it's one of the best dual suspension bikes out there. Sorry for the rest that anything close costs twice as much!

Felt SA

(043) 726 3116

[/quote']

Thanks TC.  I am in Gauteng, but will surely give them a call and ask about the guarantee.

Guest Big H
Raleigh and Felt are no comparison. Raleigh changes their frame every year and Felt has stayed with the same frame for many years. How many Euro pros ride Raleighs?

You are clearly a soul who is easily swung by advertising gimmicks and the such. Your statement above means that Felt does not do any development and do not care about their users by staying with the same frame for many years. It also shows that the European so called Pro's does not know much about bicycles. Most of them are riding frames that comes from the same factory as the Raleigh in any case.

Guest Big H

Well raleigh bikes jus keep on snapping @ the head tube.Go for the felt beta out of the 3 brands mentioned but not my cup of tea.

aerbo - how many of your Raleighs "snapped at the head tube"??????? , I am sure none ................ or are you just repeating the bullsh!t uttered by every second cyclist who is pissed off that he paid kazillion bucks for a buicycle with a frame that was built at the same factory as where Raleighs are built.

Guest Big H
Felt gives a 2 year guarantee on the frame.  I don't know what Raleigh has.

Raleigh:
Too expensive' date=' almost double the price of the Felt F85
Crappy color scheme, rally nauseating
ambei-factor, every second schmo has one.

I just like the look of the Felts.  If I had 16k to spend on a bike, I probably wouldn't even have considered a Raleigh either.

No offense meant, but its a personal choice at this stage.  But please, keep the 2c coming!
[/quote']

Got this off the Felt website: "All Felt adult bicycles and bicycle frames (Road, Triathlon, Speed, MTB, Cruisers, Comfort), except Shot models, are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects in material and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner"

From the Raleigh website -

FRAME : Limited life-time warranty, All Raleigh bicycles are warranted to the original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship.

And this is in South Africa.

I'm sure that's not what he meant and I'm sure you know that too. Did you buy a Raleigh and now feel you have to defend it till death?

Felt sponsors Slipstream. A TDF and US race winning team. Felt sponsors Konica Minolta. A SA race winning team. Raleigh also sponsors a local team, but not internationally.

By your logic a Felt is a Raleigh is a Trek is Silverback is a Merida is a Giant is all the rest. How come Raleigh had so many carbon frame issues then? Also why does Raleigh change from RC4000 and all kinda weird stuff to something else the next year? Why do they change sizing? Are they trying to get rid of the bad vibes around a certain model? Size changes? Did they have it wrong to begin with?

WTF? Yes, it seams that they've sorted their carbon issues, but they are gonna have to go a long way to convince those who know. Also they are gonna have to go a long way to convince buyers that it's an elite brand. It happens. Lots of people won't buy a Giant cause it's a very common bike. Lots of people swear by it.

Most RC Team bikes that got sold ended in the parts bin anyway.

Don't feel bad. You've got the Raleigh now. Ride it. When you're ready for a REAL MTB phone the guys from Felt (number above) or Titus or Ellsworth or Ibis or Whyte or Yeti or Morewood or Silverback for that matter.

There are some Raleighs that aren't THAT bad, some are actually quite good. But, and now this might seem odd, I prefer to not go for a 100km+ ride on the same brand bike our gardener shows up with.

And if it helps, he never understood why I paid so much for my Felt when he paid R799 at GAME for his dual suspension Raleigh. Bless his soul.

Do you know for a fact that whatever frame is made in the same factory as Raleigh or are you just repeating BS you heard? Have you been to the East?

Do you know Merida has their own factory and manufactures Specialized? Yes, Raleigh have a lifetime warranty and LOTS of people have used it. LOTS. And I'm not just repeating, I know this. But it's a LIMITED life-time warranty.

Some people buy a Raleigh. Like some people buy a Hyundai.

Other people buy a Specialized. Like some people buy a Audi.

Both will get you there, and in the right hands a Hyundai will get there before an Audi. But come on, do we still need someone to explain the difference to us?

For what it's worth:

Merida has 5 year warranty

Silverback has life-time

Cervelo life-time

Specialized life-time

Nothing is meant to last forever. Not a car, not a bike, not a boat, not a computer. Nothing. Life-time is just another marketing gimmick to get you to buy the bike in the first place. Who on here bought a bike when he was 20 and is still riding it hard at the age of 55? Sure, then a life-time warranty is great...if you still have the receipt to prove you're the first owner!

Guest Big H

Crow, I am not going to go into the issue of where frames and forks come form. Do you own research and use the word KINESIS in your search engine and you will get amazing results. Titus or Ellsworth or Ibis or Whyte or Yeti or Morewood.......... These names are exquisites and are spoken of in revered tones. They are not the normal bikes, Felt and Silverback are normal bikes. Silverback is made in the same factory as Raleigh.

I will leave you this teaser to settle matters..... Raleigh and Felt are also made in the same factory...... follow this link and read "KINESIS"

Guest Big H

http://www.raleigh.co.za/Images/Products/2008/Elite%20Road%20Carbon/RC%206000%20Carbon/large.jpg

Try this bike..... awesome price - R 15 699.95 ' date=' carbon frame and amazing specs...  Shimano 105 20 speed; Mavic Aksium Wheelset; Deda Elementi Big Logo stem with Big Piega Handlebar; Deda Elementi Metal Stick Seatpost;
Fizik Pave CX Sport Saddle

[/quote']

H 'n Raleigh is soos 'n ambei elke tweede poephol ry een,  en daai carbon fibre frame kraak meer as enige ander twee rame saamShockedShockedShockedShocked

Samjoor my ou pel ...... waar hoor jy sulke loutere stront???????? Daar was 'n batch rame wat deur die fabriek verkeerd gebou is maar sedertdien het GEEN Raleigh raam gebreek nie. Al die rame wat gebreek het van daardie een enkele batch is deur Raleigh vervang.

Cool, I can accept that. But, tell me, why did Felt not have carbon issues in '07? Then surely it's not because of the factory but the design?

Titus also gets made in the East. But they are designed in the US by someone who sepcializes in it. Plus they get tested to BITS befoer they get launched.

I've heard people say the don't want to buy a Silverback cause it's local. Haven't heard of a single frame problem. And that's not hear say, that's from somebody who knows.

Point is: there have to be a valid reason why Raleigh has had some issues.

And, call me whatever you want, but I enjoy riding a bike that's at least a BIT different. If a Raleigh is a Raleigh, why didn't you save yourself a wadload of $$$ and bought one at Game?

Guest Big H
Do you know for a fact that whatever frame is made in the same factory as Raleigh or are you just repeating BS you heard? Have you been to the East?

Do you know Merida has their own factory and manufactures Specialized? Yes' date=' Raleigh have a lifetime warranty and LOTS of people have used it. LOTS. And I'm not just repeating, I know this. But it's a LIMITED life-time warranty.

Some people buy a Raleigh. Like some people buy a Hyundai.

Other people buy a Specialized. Like some people buy a Audi.

Both will get you there, and in the right hands a Hyundai will get there before an Audi. But come on, do we still need someone to explain the difference to us?
[/quote']

No The Big H does not speak bullsh!t. He has never been to the East but has direct contact with those who have. Did you know that the same factory manufactures forks for Merida?????? Life is limited that is why limited lifetime guarantees exist.

Lets drop this discussion as countless many many cyclists out there will only be disillusioned when they find out they have been smoked by the unscrupelous salespeople out there trying to sell their Taiwanese frames super duper so called Italian. French or German frames.

Guest Big H
Cool' date=' I can accept that. But, tell me, why did Felt not have carbon issues in '07? Then surely it's not because of the factory but the design?

Titus also gets made in the East. But they are designed in the US by someone who sepcializes in it. Plus they get tested to BITS befoer they get launched.

I've heard people say the don't want to buy a Silverback cause it's local. Haven't heard of a single frame problem. And that's not hear say, that's from somebody who knows.

Point is: there have to be a valid reason why Raleigh has had some issues.

And, call me whatever you want, but I enjoy riding a bike that's at least a BIT different. If a Raleigh is a Raleigh, why didn't you save yourself a wadload of $$$ and bought one at Game?
[/quote']

Crow ..... I do not ride a Raleigh and please do not make yourself a fool by underestimating my intelligence to assume I will buy a Raleigh at Game.

I had a steel framed Raleigh while I was in Matric in 1970. I ride a el rapido road tandem, a Omega Venturo MTB tandem, a Trek 7200 Hybrid and a Gary Fisher Tassajara MTB. All are Kinesis framed.

Please read my lips ...... Raleigh had problems with a small batch of CARBON frames. So has many other bike manufacturers had factory recals on their frames..... even Felt had problems. Raleigh has not had a single failure since this batch was recalled. No problem anaymore..... please reboot your brain!!!!!!!!!