Merida Big Nine XT 2016 or Cannondale Trail 1 2017

Jade17

Hi Guys

I need you advise , I am in-between purchasing a Merida big nine XT 2016  or a Cannondale Trail 1 2017 .

Price difference is about 1k apart .

Anyone with advice . this will be my first bike buy .

Please Help

Is it the carbon or alu merida? Reason i am asking the carbon came with 11speed M8000 XT groupset and the alu with the previous gen XT.

But it does not matter, the merida still has way better components than the dale.

Don't want to throw a spanner in the works here.....but. I am also in the process of shopping for a new bike. I looked at your options, but I also have not ruled out the Silverback Sola 1 as well as the Titan 29er Pro and Elite. I am leaning very heavily towards the Sola 1.

Good luck.

Edited by BikerBoer

Agree with lerouc, the difference in spec between the the carbon and alu big9 XT versions is significant. The carbon version has 2x11 XT drivetrain while the alu version has 3x10 XT.

The Cannondale also has 3x10 but mostly Deore and only the rear derailer is XT. Deore is excellent robust stuff but not as light as the higher spec XT bits

Brakes are M506 on all but the Meridas use centrelock discs. These are equally good but sometimes more difficult to find and maybe more pricey when the time comes to replace them.

Check out the tyres too - the Cannondale is specced with quite thin racy tyres while the Merida wider slightly more versatile tyres on it.

I am assuming you are looking at the alu spec Merida in which case the TK 30 gold fork is a step down the range from the Cannondale's Recon fork. In all other respects the Merida has better components.

You should really ride both and go with the one that feels better to ride because both have decent reliable component sets.

Just in case you were looking at the carbon Merida...it may not have attachment points for panniers whereas the alu bikes do. This is only an issue if you're considering touring....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk