Karoobaix - Hell of the South

mokganjetsi

Fair question - opens/closes the door for Zertz, CG-R seat posts, Thud-busters? Cannondale Slate presumably is out too.

Quite right Fat Boab, Cannondale Slates are out. They're great bikes, but if I open KAROOBAIX to them, then all suspension should allowed. Zertz and the CG-R seat posts are allowed since they feature no moving parts.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds awesome, if the price is right i would be keen.

Hi milky4130. The entry fee is R5500 and it includes everything from shuttles up and down from Cape Town to some serious Karoo meals for 3 days and and 3 nights. Have a look at https://www.karoobaix.co.za/enter/ for all the details. Hope you'll join us!

Events that cant state entry fees.... like products saying POA.... nah thanks.

Hi FCH. When I launched the concept I was still finalising dates and costs. Apologies. The entry fee is R5500 and I think it's a pretty good deal, without extorting the small town and communities we'll visit. Have a look at https://www.karoobaix.co.za/enter/ for more information. 

I think excluding suspensions like the Lauf and The Slate cuts out a few riders who bought bikes to do events like this, this isnt a dig at the event, and I personally think its a great idea. 

But. 

He already has tour of ara which excludes any modern bikes and components, what makes this any different. 

That being said, if I could get my A into G I would be there in a heartbeat, with my 35c, steel, SSCX rig... 

:whistling:

Hey the Nerd. Thanks, glad you like the idea. Tour of Ara is all about paying homage to the vintage steel bike and the days when hard men were racing road bikes on some pretty tough terrain. KAROOBAIX is open to modern equipment, but to make the event more slanted to the idea of 'gravel racing', I came up with the no-suspension rule. There are countless mountain bike races in South Africa, so everyone has the opportunity to ride their suspended bikes there. KAROOBAIX is for the purist, if you will. Man, machine, the elements. Just keeping it simple. 

So get your 'A into G' and come race with us! Just a warning - the Ouberg Pass out of the Tankwa on the first stage will make a single speed rider weep...

: )

Looks like an interesting challenge! Love gravel grinding in the Karoo.

But 400km gravel over 2 days (including the infamous Ouberg pass it seems) with no suspension - seems a bit niche imo, probably beyond the ambitions of most weekend warriors so I wonder if it will attract the numbers to be sustainable?

Also a bit odd to me that they host it during the week and not on the weekend

Will add this one to the bucket list, good luck to the organisers  :thumbup:

Hi Skuburra. Glad you like it! 

KAROOBAIX will be a small race, at least for now. So I'm not overly concerned with numbers. For 2017 it's only open to 50 racers. 

Part of the reason for having the event in the week is to bring a bit of business to the small places we visit in the week when they are quiet anyway. 

I'd guess the door is open for Al or carbon frames/forks, wide tyres which aren't allowed in Ara?

It just seems a bit disappointing that for such a minority industry sector here in SA currently, despite what the industry hopes for, eg gravel-grinding, that sub-sectors within that sector are being excluded. If you want to keep MTBs out, however one defines that, go ahead, but in such a rapidly changing sector, today's 'innovation' may become the norm tomorrow and it's a pity to be exclusionary.

Hi Fat Boab. I do understand what you mean. The rules I came up is my attempt to just keep things simple.

The rules are pretty clear, and I already spend so much time discussing suspension. If I did allow the new Specialized Future Shock, then why shouldn't I allow the the old Cannondale Headshock... and then next year the Future Shock has 30mm of travel maybe? Where do you draw the line? Who know what other technology is just around the corner? It just gets complicated. 

any idea why 35c tires is the minimum? Rider advantage or do they envisage plenty of punctures?

i have 33c's this now means i need to go & buy specific tires just for this event  :thumbdown:

Hi Milky4130. The 35c rule is there since I don't want people to ride older steel road bikes with 32c tyres etc. squeezed into the frame. The roads are too rough, and since we've already had frames break on Tour of Ara I wanted to exclude those bikes. You'll be more comfortable on larger volume tyres, but if you'd like to ride 33s's on a modern cyclocross bike for instance you're welcome to. I won't be measuring tyres on the start line. This rule is there for safely.

Well yes - it is his race indeed - but if he doesn't want the new Roubaix in his race, then the rigid fork rule doesn't cut it... :)

I don't have a Rouxbaix - just for the record.... I would use my steel fork Cotic Roadrat, which complies with the spirit of the rules - although I suspect the double wrapped Richey Roubaix tape might count as suspension.... if I enter.... but I suspect I wont because it's too close to Trans Baviaans... and my wife will shoot me.

Bring that Roadrat to the KAROOBAIX!

just a pedantic point here.

1: what you quoted is not on the "race about page" but a statement by Mokgan

2: anti commercial? what a crock of merde..... the race is asking entry fees (unknown as yet-probably wanting to see how many people are keen to sign up first) and (hopefully for them) making a profit- the exact definition of commerce.

3: "gravel grinders" is not something new or unique; it is what every bike in the world was before technology gave us razor thin road bike and fat-as-can-be mountain bike wheels and suspension; hence P-R being one of the oldest races in the world.

Hi FCH. The world is not always as sinister as you might like to believe. KAROOBAIX is my attempt to get some likeminded people to visit some incredible places on the back of a bicycle. While it would be great to make money out of Tour of Ara (my other race) and KAROOBAIX, these events are far from making actual profit. 

I know that road from Calvinia through the Tankwa Karoo and it is TOUGH in a vehicle, let alone on a bike.

16 October - it is going to be HOT AS HELL (note, not "Hotazel").

Wasn't there a challenge this year to ride Calvinia - Ceres nonstop, which many tried and almost all failed?

That route is going to eat most, if not all, the competitors.  The Calvinia-Ceres road is famous for being the longest stretch of road uninterrupted by a town.

Anyhoo, good luck to all!

Hi Nonky. The first stage will be tough for sure. But we're not racing along that road. We're going to Middelpos and dropping into the Tankwa from there. Have a look at the site for more information - https://www.karoobaix.co.za/route/.

Also, KAROOBAIX is now on 9 / 10 October. Not much earlier, so it might still get hot!

All this talk about bikes....

I am personally more looking for the undertaking from the race organiser not to cancel if it gets a little too hot or too slippery.....

(*based upon their previous events, it seems they prefer hellish conditions, so maybe we are safe) 

Ha ha tubed. I never cancel. 

Rules seem straightforward enough, if you have to ask then the answer is probably no.
I'm a bit confused by the timing, why can't it be a friday afternoon at noon shuttle, start sat morning?

this requires 3 days leave, and if i was doing it i would want to go to calvinia a day early to go have some fun/skaaptjop.

You'll need to carry powerful front and rear lights, a minimum of two litres of water, basic safety equipment, and important tools. Helmets compulsory. 

So, to clarify...

This is a race for gravel / cyclocross style bicycles
Yes, you can ride a 26", 27.5" or 29" mountain bike fitted with a rigid fork and drop handlebars
No, you can't just promise to leave your front and rear suspension on lockout. And no suspension seatposts
Yes, you can ride flared 'dirt drops', but the minimum centre-to-centre drop has to be at least 100mm
No, you can't run your mountain bike shifters on your drop handlebars
Yes, you can run down-tube shifters, bar-end shifters, etc.
No, you can't ride your road bike if it can't fit the minimum of 35c tyres
Yes, you can ride your old steel touring bike, provided you can fit 35c / 1.4" or larger volume tyres

Hi rider#35. The reason I prefer doing the event in the week is so we can bring a bit of income to these town in the week when they're not busy. Also, roads are quieter for us to get to and from the race. 

Oh, and the shuttle does take us to Calvinia the day before to enjoy some skaaptjops and Karoo hospitality. 

: )

Without reading to many posts, I would have to add that this kind of event defines exclusivity, but virtue of having n+1.

I would love to try something like this, but am battling to keep my current bike on the dirt, let alone a second, third, forth +1 bike.

While I get the ethos, it does exclude alot of riders, but includes those few that have plenty of bikes in the stable.

Hi Slowbee. Actually, I would say that if you were to own only 1 bike in our country with such diverse and beautiful and challenging riding, it should be a gravel style bike. Road, off road, touring, commuting - they can do it all. It's an undervalued genre that has existed for a long time, it just seems to have a name now...

Which makes me wonder just how many bikes will be on the start line.

I've ridden those roads numerous times on my adventure bike and I'm finding it hard to imagine why anyone would find this appealing. A challenge is one thing, a murderous ride over vehicle corrugations and sand on a hardtail is something else. Make sure you've done your family planning well in advance.

I don't think KAROOBAIX is for you , Buff_SA.

It's just outside my backyard..!

I guess a Mercer tandem would cut it?

Nice to see an event like this.

Sorry johanrissik - no tandems!

Archived