Cotic Escapade

Swany05

So recently i bought a cotic escapade with vertical dropouts and setup single speed with a half link chain and magic ratio. 

I know as the kms go by the chain will stretch and i will need to think about tensioning it. What options do i have besides running a tensioner? 

ECC rear hub? 

Convert the frame to horizontal drop outs (I would like to explore this option)

EBB? but i dont think the frame was designed for this 

to add to the above, this frame rides really really nicely and fits me perfectly so i would like to keep it for as long as possible. 

So recently i bought a cotic escapade with vertical dropouts and setup single speed with a half link chain and magic ratio. 

I know as the kms go by the chain will stretch and i will need to think about tensioning it. What options do i have besides running a tensioner? 

ECC rear hub? 

Convert the frame to horizontal drop outs (I would like to explore this option)

EBB? but i dont think the frame was designed for this 

to add to the above, this frame rides really really nicely and fits me perfectly so i would like to keep it for as long as possible. 

You know they made an Escapade with Horizontal drop outs?

I picked mine up for R3000 never been built up!

I have also unfortunately just sold my last White Industries Eccentric Eno hub! I would have offered it to you.

The English threaded BB shell can't be converted into an EBB unless you cut out the shell and re weld a new one in.

There are a couple of guys who 'could' cut out the drop outs and add horizontal ones or even modular sliders, but it will likely cost almost as much as a 2nd hand Horizontal Escapade frame.

Since doing the Swartberg Gran Fondo SS last year I have added gears to mine and I love it! 

I have purchased some cable/hydro brake calipers and a 42 oval NW which have also added to the overall feeling of radness.

Going SS again is definitely on the cards, but being able to climb all the gravel/jeep track hills around cape town effortlessly is amazing. 

Ok so best bet is the WI ecc, i have been offered one which i think i will make a move on. 

Once the chain is at its last ill have the rear wheel rebuilt and add a new heavy duty unit.

How difficult is the maintenance and config on these? 

I wont lie i would like to run this in a 1x 10/11/12 config when i need it. That would make this a do all and everything bike. 

This will be my commuter for the foreseeable future so spoending a bit wont bother me in the least 

Ok so best bet is the WI ecc, i have been offered one which i think i will make a move on. 

Once the chain is at its last ill have the rear wheel rebuilt and add a new heavy duty unit.

How difficult is the maintenance and config on these? 

I wont lie i would like to run this in a 1x 10/11/12 config when i need it. That would make this a do all and everything bike. 

This will be my commuter for the foreseeable future so spoending a bit wont bother me in the least 

Make sure you get the eccentric brakemount as well. Is is pretty important in the config.

It's pretty easy to set up and there are a few video's on youtube if you're not sure.

Make sure you have the ratio dialled as a good screw on freehub is expensive!

Setting up 1x10 is pretty cheap. My advice would be to grab an old set of SRAM 10 speed Sti's which will match shift index with with a SRAM 10 speed clutch deraileur.

The Shimano pull ratio isn't compatible so you will be without a clutch.

The shifters and rd will likely cost as much as the Eccentric hub, wheel rebuild and freehub.

I put 2x (Road) 10(mtb) on mine. Any hill. Any wind backed drag. Amazing bike. Convert to gears. This bike begs for it.

Archived