Maxxis tyre choice, please help

Jared Falck

I am reading this topic with much interest as I am too looking for a new front/rear tire setup. The one thing I see mentioned nowhere (and definitely) is VERY important - is RIM width. In my opinion this has a great influence on the tire width choice you make. When you have a 25mm internal rim width I personally would not recommend going wider than (max) 2.4 in front - 2.2/2.3 is recommended. If you have a 30mm internal width - by all means go 2.6. Just my opinion.

With this in mind - I too recommend Rekon up front and Ikon rear or even Aspen. Problem is - as usual - is STOCK! Since I have a 25mm rim, I am looking for a 2.25 Rekon front but I simply cannot find any stock anywhere. Well at least at the 5 bike shops I contacted.

Good article as well:

25mm vs 30mm rims for mountain biking - Australian Mountain Bike | The home for Australian Mountain Bikes (ambmag.com.au)

I just checked my rims, they are DT Swiss rims and say 17mm, I currently have specialized 2.2 front and 2.0 rear, do you think I could put a 2.2 on the rear with a 2.2/2.3 up front?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend just got a new set of Vitoria mezcal and barzo tyres and we are going to ride on Saturday, I had a quick ride on my street and I still think the specialized ground control is a fantastic front tyre, the Vitoria mezcal looks like a maxxis ikon though, anyone know whether I should get maxxis ikon exo or Vitoria mezcal cape cobra? Both would be 2.2 size tyres.

Edited by Jared Falck

I’ve think I’ve decided to go for a Vitoria mezcal rear with a specialized ground control front or I will go for a bontragor xr2/3 with the ground control or xr4 on the front.