Merida 2014 big nine 1000 advice

Vish999

Hi. Just sold my hard tail and now looking for a full suspension. I came across a 2014 Merida BNN 1000 at a great price and looks in mint condition. It comes with Slx components and fox rear shock. The fork is a Manitou comp which has great reviews. My one worry is that it's a sealed bottom bracket. What's the process when it's time for service/replacement. Has anyone owned this to give me their feedback? Will the fork allow me to install 2.4 tyres? What else should I look at? Specs below.. 

https://www.merida.nl/mountainbike/big-ninety-nine-1000/2014/

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Vish,

I spent around 5 years and maybe 15 000kms on a Merida Big Ninety Nine. Did all of the WC Trailseekers and Attakwas 2021 on it. It stood up with no issues at all. Cracked the rear chainstay when I crashed in 2020 and had it repaired and no issues since then. I have upgraded to the Merida 96 but decided to keep the 99 frame because it worked so well and as a back up. The sealed bearings are probably the easiest and cheapest to replace. I ran 2.4" tyres no problem at all and I would only recommend that you maybe pop a set of ZTR Crest wheels on there to improve the overall performance of the bike especially weight and how it rolls. The 99 is marked as an XC/Trail bike, I would say more more Trail and eats up the big stuff. It is really confidence inspiring out in the ruff stuff.

Hi ChuCke3. Thanks so much for your reply. I definitely don't ride as much as u but want to do Sani2C in the near future at least. How did the Manitou fork behave? My hard tail had the Rockshox Gold TK. Will def consider upgrading the rims. 

Hi Vish,

I had the fox Evolution shock on my bike that is their entry level fork but I must admit it works like a charm. I have never tried the Manitou forks yet. Sorry matey.