[Event] King Price Race to the Sun

Faces Advendurance

Event Name: King Price Race to the Sun
When: 11/05/2024
Where: SchoemansvilleHartbeespoort, North West
Category: Gravel

Race to the Sun is South Africa's premier 100-mile event for adventurous gravel and mountain bikers. The meticulously crafted 160km journey from Hartbeespoort Dam to Sun City promises diverse landscapes and challenges, creating a true Mzansi magic experience. Entries are now open but limited, 

In a new addition, the King Price Race to the Sun has a 50-mile race perfect for riders 15 and older looking for a fresh challenge. 

making this race a must for 2024.

Excitingly, King Price Race to the Sun will be the  South African gravel bike national championship adding prestige and competition to the event, making this race a must for 2024.

Go to Event Page.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Shuttles back from Sun City to Harties are sold out . Anybody else have a plan / spot for two riders back to schoemansville please .

On 1/16/2024 at 9:53 AM, Dexter-morgan said:

Entered, I have a score to settle with this race.

oh yeah ? why ?

I'm looking for info about the course, mostly for tyre choice

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

oh yeah ? why ?

I'm looking for info about the course, mostly for tyre choice

last time I got sick and was basically pushed home for the last 20km.

Here is the GPX file from last year, there is quite a bit of corrugation and loose sand.

COURSE_252272338.gpx

3 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

last time I got sick and was basically pushed home for the last 20km.

Here is the GPX file from last year, there is quite a bit of corrugation and loose sand.

COURSE_252272338.gpx 3.02 MB · 0 downloads

Do you know where exactly ? Corrugation scares me as my bike is stiff AF, the sand not so much

45 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Do you know where exactly ? Corrugation scares me as my bike is stiff AF, the sand not so much

There are lots of short sections parts with corrugation.

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

50cc tires should take care of both sand & corrugation. Like you said in the other thread about gearing now its tire choice. Horse for Courses.

4 hours ago, eala said:

Shuttles back from Sun City to Harties are sold out . Anybody else have a plan / spot for two riders back to schoemansville please .

I am sitting with the same issue at this stage

41 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

50cc tires should take care of both sand & corrugation. Like you said in the other thread about gearing now its tire choice. Horse for Courses.

nah I don't think so. I'm on 45c now and it doesn't make a difference on corrugated roads, at least it didn't make it any less *** than 42s and 40s that I had before. I think only suspension takes care of that, and even with suspensions it's a *** ride. But on the crux oof, it's really rough, guess I'll run pressures as low as I can and hope for the best...

Difficult call to make on bicycle type and  tyre choice .You have to choose your pain .Personally i think an XC bike with big gearing  is the best and probably as fast as a gravel bike .Old style XC bike 100mm travel  with 2 x 11 would be perfect.

Edited by eala

35 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Anyone hyped-up like I am, little bit nervous at the same time.

Good luck. You've put the training in, you're looking strong, you should be fine.

Any tips for first timers doing the race ?

Nutrition ?

Tyre choice and tyre pressure (MTB bike) ?

how to approach the race and resting tips ?

And Good luck to everyone doing the event. 

Edited by Op1

2 minutes ago, Op1 said:

any tips for first timers going the race ?

Nutrition ?

Dont get carried away on the first half, second half has some sting

If you dont have a nutrition plan now, then its too late. Just try to take in what you currently do on a race with regularity and hydrate.

19 minutes ago, Op1 said:

any tips for first timers going the race ?

Nutrition ?

As already mentioned the first half is easy, mostly flat with some downhill and no climbs and with this one tends to going all out. The second half do have more climbs and uphill drags and if you have wasted most of the energy on the first half the second half will be a long ride with no power.

Nothing major to have "special" tyres, your normal tyre choice will be just fine with your normal riding pressures.

Nutrition; as mentioned to late to change. Use what you normal ride with.

Just ride and enjoy the route.