Recce 200Km MTB race

Hennie Nel

Afternoon,

Anybody did this race before.

Would like to know, if you enter as a solo rider, how safe would this race be, because sure there would be areas where a rider would be alone and not in a group.

Any one with experience of this race.

Thanks. 

There is only a solo option but nothing stopping you from riding with someone. The nature of these events, and this one specifically, you will eventually end up on your own with no other riders in sight for hours. Obviously the longer the race distance the more isolated you will be. This Recce Raid event provides you with a tracking device for live tracking. Also they have a safety plan in place due to the remoteness. My first taste of this event will be next year. Doing the 400km/10 000m (more like 12000m looking at the Strava data from 2023).

See below from one of their event newsletter's from the 2023 event:

Race Safety & Security

Safety and security of participants, supporters and crew during endurance events have become a major concern in many parts of the country. These concerns resulted in certain areas becoming no-go zones from a race organiser’s perspective.

While the Recce Race operating zone is a mere 250 km from Gauteng, and crosses both the N4 Elandskloof and N4 Schoemanskloof highways, the routes are rather isolated and do not pass through or close to semi-urban or rural settlements or towns. This has its pros and cons, as large parts of the routes do not have any GSM coverage.

We are deploying a Community Safety System that will include some of the local landowners, private security companies, regional community policing’s neighbourhood watch and farm watch initiatives, as well as support crew, including SARZA (Search & Rescue South Africa) and ER24 EMS. These parties will have access to a Virtual Control Room that will monitor any GSM based emergency SOS activated via the Herdum User App during the event on the event routes, as well as supporter routes. Their responders or patrollers will also be directly informed via the Herdum Business App for a rapid response to any safety, medical or other emergency in the event zones.

b917a5_440bf7ddae8a48c590351daa4db99c50~

b917a5_7f25f517fa504f43afd41dcc28d716c3~

As the areas that we cover with the Recce Raid are rather large, we have divided these into 4 operating zones as indicated on the maps below. Detail of how participants and supporters can register on the platform will be shared next week with all participants that have entered by May 6th.