New to the biking scene

Bjorn_ZA

Good day 

I'm new to the biking scene and was wondering what bike I should get. 

What should I look out for 

What should I look for 

Where to go 

Who to speak to 

So far everyone I speak to says I should get a silverback, I've never heard of this brand, is it any good? 

Thanks so much for all your help. 

Road or mountain? 

What are your goals? Coffee rides, fitness, technical trails…?

Your height? 

Your budget? 

Any orthopaedic/other challenges? 

Hi Robyn

I've always liked riding but then as always life gets in the way. 

So I haven't touched a bike in over 15 years. So let say fitness and coffee hoping to get to the technical riding. 

Mountain bike 

Height 1.98m tall

Budget looking around 30k 

Only challenge is finding what bike to start off with. Hard tail or full suspension. 

Edited by Bjorn_ZA

Hi

With a budget of 30K you can get a really nice second hand full suspension bike, i would start there. try and get it from a place where you can go see the bike and ride it and where they have serviced it and replaced any really used parts, lots of bike shops also have used bikes these days so thats also a great option for someone like you who needs a bit of advice.

For sizing i would look at the bike fitting chart but go to place where you can sit on the bike and feel it out, you should be a L/XL.

If you want to do technical stuff the get a bit more travel in the suspension, for most 120mm is perfect, if you want to do the really technical decending then get more but there are loads of you tube videos that can explain the difference between all the different travel options.

As for brands, thats a tough one as everyone loves their bike brand. Seeing you will probably be sending your bike to someone to be serviced try stick with the larger brands and one where you know your local bike shop can service it and get spares.

There is alot of content on youtube on how to pick a mountain bike so get watching.

Good luck