IS calliper to post-mount fork?

Nuffy

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an adapter to fit an IS disc calliper to a fork with post-mounts? In my research it seems the only ones available require a 20mm increase in rotor size, but since I am already using a 203mm rotor I don't think that would work for me.

Otherwise, does anyone have a front hydraulic disc (or set) to sell (for a post-mount fork, obviously), or swap for my Hope M4?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Guest Big H

Yup the correct mount for Hope M4's. I have one like that but for a 180mm rotor on my Hope calipers..

Thanks for the help, but that's the wrong way around. The calliper is an IS one (it's an old model) and the fork has the post-mount.

To complicate matters further (perhaps), the calliper is actually a rear one that I was using on the front. Before I got my new forks, it fitted straight on (IS mount) and used a 203mm rotor. I have since broken the forks and got new ones, but these have post-mounts.

Guest Big H

Ok, on my new for Matzocchi Fork I also have post mount. I was able to get a Post to Post Mount form Magura for the 180mm rotors.

This from Hope on www.chainreactioncycles.com

Hope Brake Mount Adaptor

Hope mount adaptor to mount a 74mm post mount caliper (i.e. Avid, Hayes, etc) to a 74mm post mount fork (i.e. Manitou) to accomodate a 203mm rotor.

Note: Mounts are only available in SILVER, not black as pictured

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/13729.jpg

H, he wants a post (fork) to IS (caliper) converter an not a post-to-post or more commonly IS-to-post converter.

My fork is a 2008 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3. I've just bought it new, so would be reluctant to swap it. I did quite a bit of looking around before I bought it, and it looked like the best value for money. I didn't want to get a second hand one, as I break parts pretty regularly and want to know that what I am getting is going to last.

I would be willing to swap brakes, though.

Here is what my calliper looks like:

20080723_065920_2482322637_4caf.jpg

(picture found online)

Thanks Big H, but as you'll see from this picture that adaptor won't help me.

first thing that is obvious is that the brake is overkill. Do you ride downhill and is the fork 20mm bolt-through?

Guest Big H

Those do not look like the M4 disks I have on the Tandem????? What does the "8" on it mean. Look at www.chainreaction.com You might find what you need there. Also try International Trade at 011 - 452 6587 ask for Alan Laudin.

Mampara: Yeah, I suppose it is overkill. A friend had it lying around, so I didn't pay for it. I certainly wasn't about to turn it away. I do race downhill now and then. The fork is your regular QR job. The Hope Mini would be more appropriate, but I took what I could get.

Big H: It is an old model, so chances are yours is newer and shinier. I don't know what the "8" means. I did try Chain Reaction, but the only one I could find required a 20mm increase in the rotor size.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Look here at the botttom row.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/2259037549_cd7b7939d7_o.jpg

Magura adapter #3

http://www.magura.com/7thsenseCMS/uploads/pics/Adapter3G_b117b0.jpg

Then you can get the post-to-post converters get the spacing right.

Thank you, I know, I'm a genius. BTW, Cycles Africa is the local distributor for Magura.

Hey! I think we're on to something.

Now, where might I find one of those? I'm scared of ordering one without being able to try it first, as there are so many variables and very few people actually know enough to trust completely with it. I suppose it's not the sort of thing any shop here is likely to have in stock.

Thanks for your help, Mampara. At least I know now that they do exist. I'm off now to enjoy the sunshine and do some investigating. Cheers.