IS calliper to post-mount fork?

Nuffy

The "8" refers to the caliper being for a 205mm disc. Ive got exactly the same brake system, an old M4 with a number 8 caliper. Hope made the M4 in a 3, 5, 6 & 8 caliper referring to the rotor sizes of 145, 165, 185 & 205mm respectively.

Big H's M4 is a Mono M4, one of the newer models.

Guest Big H
Magura adapter #3

http://www.magura.com/7thsenseCMS/uploads/pics/Adapter3G_b117b0.jpg

Then you can get the post-to-post converters get the spacing right.

Thank you' date=' I know, I'm a genius. BTW, Cycles Africa is the local distributor for Magura.

[/quote']

This one will work if you have spacers made out of round aluminium drilled through the middle with longer hex nuts. Shims (washers) will also work but will not look neat. You will find Cycles Africa's phone number in Ride Magazine, they are in the same building in Jhb.

I contacted the guys at Cycles Africa, and it seems even the Magura 3 adaptor requires the bigger rotor:

Our Magura #3 Adapter will not work for you. This adapter also pushes

out the caliper by 20mm. It is designed to work with a Magura IS2000

front caliper for 160 rotor, which once you add the adapter requires a

180 rotor.

To go from PM to IS2000 will pretty much always involve an increase in

rotor size of 20mm.

The fact that you are running a rear caliper on the front is also

complicating your problem as your already running pretty much the

biggest rotor you can get.

Our recommendation for scenarios like this is to purchase the correct

front caliper and use as few adapters or non at all.

So this means I'm on the lookout for new brakes (a full set), and will sell my Hope M4 (or swap). Anyone interested?

Thanks for all the help.

Have you considered having a set of adapters made? <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

For interest sake, what would you want for the brakes?Embarrassed

Ox_Wagon2008-07-24 10:42:56

I did consider it, but I don't think it's physically possible to get the caliper into the right place. I'm sure the adapters would be available off the shelf if it was, and I've held my caliper up against the fork and it doesn't look possible.

I'm thinking about R1000 for my Hope brake. I bought the rotor (203mm) for R500, the hose and fittings for R400, and new pads for about R250, so I'd be reluctant to take less. It's in great condition, and the rotor, hose & fittings, and the pads are fairly new. I've got a spare, unused Goodridge hose the same length that can go with it, plus the old pads (still some use left in them). I'd be sorry to see it go, but I won't be using it on my current fork. As I said, I'd also consider a swap. I've got to get what I can to cover a new set of brakes, so if I manage to find a killer deal I will be willing to negotiate the price of the Hope.

Oh yes, and I also have a set of old Magura Louise brakes. The seals seem to have gone, and I'm fed up with trying to sort them out. I'll consider any offers. The front has a new hose and fittings and pads, and there's one set of unused pads to go with them. Apart from the seal problem, they seem to be pretty decent, if that counts for anything.

Price range for the Maguras? Well, I must have paid about R400 for the hose etc., so it would be nice if I could recover that much at least. That said, hydraulic systems with faulty seals aren't going to be much good, unless for spares or something. Still interested?