UCI to introduce four-year ban in '09

Chrispy

from Cyclingnews.com

UCI to introduce four-year ban in '09

By Shane Stokes

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/worlds08/worlds086/sirotti_worlds149alt.jpg

Following the positive A sample tests for CERA by Tour de France stars Stefan Schumacher and podium-finisher Bernhard Kohl, UCI President Pat McQuaid has confirmed that the UCI will double its maximum sanction for doping cases next season.

A four-year suspension could effectively end the career of positive riders and should act as a strong deterrent. McQuaid told Cyclingnews on Tuesday that he?d personally opt for life bans if possible, but that WADA rules had to be followed.

"I have said before that I would like to see them out of the sport for good. That is purely on a personal level," he stated. "However, we are obliged to follow the world anti-doping code, and that is what the UCI will do. Currently the world anti-doping code gives a maximum two-year sanction in the case of a positive test. From the first of January there is a bit more flexibility in it, and we can go up to a four year ban in the cases of something regarded as willful cheating.

"In these cases [Kohl and Schumacher], considering that these guys were given the product and then went and took it for the Tour de France, it would be very much classified as willful cheating. Next year a rider in that position would face a four year ban.

He acknowledged that the two Gerolsteiner riders were not yet in a position where they can be sanctioned. "Of course, you have to bear in mind that these guys have to go through due process," he continued. "Once that process is finished and if they are proven guilty, I on a personal level - and probably everyone else in the cycling family - don?t want to see them back in cycling again."

Recent evaluation of Tour de France blood samples revealed that three more riders had taken the third generation EPO drug CERA, with Leonardo Piepoli, Schumacher and Kohl joining the previous positive case of Riccaro Ricco. Giro d?Italia sensation Emanuele Sella was also caught by the earlier analysis, although he did not compete in this year?s Tour. Like Kohl in France in July, he was best climber in the Italian Grand Tour.

Stay tuned to Cyclingnews for a full feature on this latest development.

chrispy, i'm all for the longer bans. was thinking, though, what constitutes a "cleaner" tour? with all the late positive tests, was the last tour "cleaner"?

New drugs tests cast shadow over Olympics
Telegraph.co.uk, United Kingdom - 9 hours ago
... raised questions about the validity of some of the performances in Beijing. By Tom Knight The cyclists in question are not from the Olympic velodrome; ...

how do you tell fans that their sport is clean when the cloud hangs over this year's results for the next 8 years:

It is a massive and expensive undertaking by the IOC, who confirmed these samples will be stored for future re-testing until 2016, under the terms of their statute of limitations governing the amending of results. It is a brave move too because no one knows what horrors could emerge from this fresh analysis.

I think that until these guys get jail time they will be fighting a losing battle. Put a guy with shaved legs in a cell with Bubba and you'll soon have these peeps as clean as a whistle.

Not going to work. Introduce a Jail sentence and the problem will be solved almost immediately.

4 is way better that the 2. But I think they still need to be treated harder in the sence that they can still ride in the 2-4 years.

I think a positive test in a major race like le tour and giro - should be jailtime for 6months - 1year then they will be to scared to try something like that.

bit harsh - but if you want to stop this then go big

New drugs tests cast shadow over Olympics
Telegraph.co.uk' date=' United Kingdom - 9 hours ago
... raised questions about the validity of some of the performances in Beijing. By Tom Knight The cyclists in question are not from the Olympic velodrome; ...

how do you tell fans that their sport is clean when the cloud hangs over this year's results for the next 8 years:

It is a massive and expensive undertaking by the IOC, who confirmed these samples will be stored for future re-testing until 2016, under the terms of their statute of limitations governing the amending of results. It is a brave move too because no one knows what horrors could emerge from this fresh analysis.

[/quote']

UCI chief is against further retesting for blood-boosting drug
The Canadian Press, PARIS - 13 hours ago
The French anti-doping agency is now willing to retest samples from the 2007 Tour and this year's Giro d'Italia and Spanish Vuelta. ...