Bike Shooting

longweasel

This happened in farmall. Yes he was alone.

My mates & I ride in Farmall just about every friday & sunday. We have been warned a few times by arb passers by to be careful. The guy in question is actually the neighbour of my mate we ride with. I will try get more details tonight.

If you are coming up along Malibongwe towards the Lion park intersection - just after the dip on your right hand side you will see a gravel road going into farmall. It was a couple 100m down that road. From what i heard.

"Wishing you a speedy recovery"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The following was forwarded to me by a friend in SA. I hope he does not mind me posting it here, but I think it is important that riders stay informed:

Hello

I have a story to tell ....

On Sunday morning at 7:30am I was riding my mountain bike, alone, down Rietvallei Road in Farmall towards Malibongwe.  Approximately 500m from Malibongwe I noticed three men jogging down the hill towards the road.  Rather than wait to greet them I accelerated in an attempt to avoid these chaps.  A shot rang out and I stopped suddenly [over the handlebars onto my shoulder + face, lots of blood !!] - the adrenaline was pumping ... to the extent I did not realise that I had been SHOT in the leg !!!  The 'gentlemen' concerned helped themselves to my bike, my helmet, my watch, my phone etc. -- all the while waving a gun in my face .... a neighbour arrived on the sceme and the perpetrators ambled off.  I spent two days in hospital and am now recuperating at home ... by all accounts I was exceedingly lucky - the bullet lodged in the muscle tissue and there is no damage to the bones, internal organs or major blood vessels.  My conundrum is what to do now :-

1.  It is unacceptable that I should not be able to ride my damn bike down my own bloody street !

2.  It is unacceptable that there are folks out there who value a life in hundreds of rands !

3.  It is unacceptable that my family and friends be subjected to the emotional trauma of near loss !

So what do I do ...

I could pack up, move to Australia and be 'safe' ... or perhaps buy into a secure estate and be 'safe' or hide under a damn rock and be 'safe' .... I can hide OR I can try to make a difference ... I choose the latter :-

The police have been slow to respond thus far -- it sounds as if it is a lack of resources ... I can help ... and so can you !!  If it turns out it is apathy and incompetence - well then we can ensure that those concerned are afforded their 15 minutes of infamy !

I will be offering a large financial reward for the recovery of the bike and the successful apprehension of the three 'gentlemen' concerned -- not because I so desperately want the bike back BUT I do so desperately want this group removed from society -- how could these beasts ever be 'rehabilitated' and 'integrated' .... oh --- and a special note to whoever may be 'buying' my stuff .... I hold YOU responsible .. EVERY stolen item comes with a STORY .... YOU buy IT - YOU pulled the TRIGGER !!

So .. be warned ... the 'animals' are out there .... BUT so I am I - and I will be pushing all of you to GET INVOLVED - to PUT your own PRICE on your LIFE .... Money, Time and Commitment .... and above COLD, SEETHING, CALCULATING DESIRE !

Leon Sanderson

Chairman : Farmall Landowners + Residents Association

I am so sorry what happened to leon.I just dont know how guys in GP and surrounds get up in the morning and want to ride in those conditions

please forward the email to the Randburg SAPS so their mounties can be made aware of this

info@randburgpolice.co.za

Thanks

This is horrible ..I am so gatvol of this ..!!!!..We live in one of the most wonderfull and stunning countries in the world...I have been all over the place , and honestly there is just no place like home...

The worst of all is that we then have cyclists tthrowing punches at each other ,at what is suppose to be a recreational event..for the person involved at killarney , behaving like a thug ...shame on you...makes you no better than the rest of these mindless hooligans...

Be safe everybody...we dont need to loose friends and loved ones to these animals...

please forward the email to the Randburg SAPS so their mounties can be made aware of this

Thanks

...dont hold your breath...!!!!

Thanks

...dont hold your breath...!!!!

If you read the latest Bicycling Magazine you would have seen that Randburg SAPS have a bike parol. If SAPS Crime Prevention and Task Teams are not made aware of the incidents how on earth are they going to plan for patrols?

If everyone was not apathetic and actually got involved maybe the crime would decrease.