carbon question

quickdraw

Hi, should I retire these ritchey MTB bars?

I got them with these scores and although they have been fine and feel fine - these marks just sit at the back of my mind.

The one is roughly 10mm and the other about 8mm

20081118_120253_bars_01.jpg

20081118_120333_bars_02.jpg

20081118_120408_bars_03.jpg

looks a bit dodgy...not necessarily a crack though, looks almost like a scratch but ja i dont know anything bout this stuff

Quickdraw it looks like the carbonweave has been damaged due to over tightening or the bars have just had a hard life.

Are these bars full carbon or just carbon wrapped. If they are carbon wrapped they should be ok, but if they full carbon I would replace them.

Cut up the bars and use as pea shootersWink
Speed Devil2008-11-18 12:47:49

looks a bit dodgy...not necessarily a crack though, looks almost like a scratch but ja i dont know anything bout this stuff

They are full carbon, I think it might have been overtightened by the previous owner.

I have the WCS stem and it would be very difficult to crack the bars with it cos the gaps between the faceplate and stem is so minimal.

Any idea as to how thick the clear coating is on Ritchey bars?

I have just retired some Eastons with similar damage. I reckoned they only had a 10% chance of failing. 10% too much.