mtb rides in kzn

GIRR

I will also be in Umhlanga between 22nd and 5th with my MTB doing some training for EPIC. Name is Greg. Number if you keen to ride is 0827831945

Hey Greg, thanks for the invite but I'm going to be going back to jhb ,funnily enough, on the 22nd.

I've been to Giba a couple times already and really enjoyed it (wow it has been hot).  I wont ride on the tar here in Dbn (had bad experiences in the past).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a trip to Clearwater Trails near the old pont' date=' you will not be sorry...[/quote']

Where is Clearwater TNOSE_E?

Guest Agteros

Cyclelab Durban North has a regular mtb group

I phoned them and they tell me to call their shop at Giba' date=' or else they have a combined mtb/rd group (not exactly what I was looking for) that leaves from the shop.
[/quote']

Is that an equal opportunity *1 combined mtb/rd group?

*1 Equal time spend between MTBs on tar and road bikes on the dirt

Agteros2008-12-16 11:54:00

I was down at Port Edward this last week, rode at Clearwater trails 5 of the 7 days, its about 5 mins drive from Port Edward Central.

They have an easy 4k route through the Coffee Plantations for the kids and then slightly more 'interesting' routes of 10k and 20ks through  the various banana & coffee plantations and a nature conservancy. Stunning views.

The red route 20k has some fantastic technical stufff, nice hill climbs and a river crossing to carry your bike through Smile.

I had to revert to the easier blue route 10k on the last day when my Brother in Law who was my riding partner managed to fall down a rocky hill descent and damage his shoulder.  He retired to the coffee shop at Beaver Creek and left further riding to me Smile

If anyone is going down that way I really recommend the ride. Jan who runs the place is a very friendly and helpful guy, even spent some time helping BIL adjust his gears and brakes at n/c.

This week Giba.  I battle to find all the trails there, so I enquired and management say they offer the use of a guide to show a bit more of the place, no charge for the guide but a tip is generally appreciated. (They are generally local development riders who spend their holidays & weekends working there.)  

If you are from up country that might be an idea.

Take a trip to Clearwater Trails near the old pont' date=' you will not be sorry...[/quote']

Where is Clearwater TNOSE_E?

www.clearwatertrails.co.za

• 4 weeks later...

Found some amazing riding in KZN. Thanks to the locals in Clansthal for taking us on a mind-bending ride. Thanks to the guys at Sezele for almost killing me on one of the toughest 40km rides of my life. And Giba is still rocking. Then headed to the Transkei for more insane cycling! We have an amazing country here in South Africa.

KZN has the best MTB rides

GIBA
PMB

Clearwater

Hilton

Ballito

From what i know you can even ride on the XC they are using for the world cup in PMB

KZN has the best MTB rides

GIBA
PMB

Clearwater

Hilton

Ballito

From what i know you can even ride on the XC they are using for the world cup in PMB

You forgot about Steinbank Nature Reserve!!

stainbank???? you will have your bike stolen if you ride in there.... That place is a little gem for MTB but the crimals dont allow us to ride there anymore. People get stabbed just for their bikes, Pathetic

stainbank???? you will have your bike stolen if you ride in there.... That place is a little gem for MTB but the crimals dont allow us to ride there anymore. People get stabbed just for their bikes' date=' Pathetic[/quote']

Agreed, thats why we ride in groups of 4 or more. We haven't had any issues with groups that size. Its just far too good to miss out on because of some scum of the earth, rancid troll ass munching, festering yeti crap devouring bastards decide to try take away our simple pleasures in life. AngryAngryAngry  

yeah i just give that 1 a miss now day, go to giba and PMB to train now.

PS - I get into Giba for FREELOL thats why im there so much

you gonna get it for that one dirtbreath..

Hehe, Hehe......Big%20smile

Nah, did a bit of Ballito and Giba myself. BRILLIANT!

Just a question. Is December a quiet time at Giba, is Giba not supported as much as it should be, was I just lucky or is it big enough to cope and seems quiet. I was amazed at how little traffic traffic there is. Is this a Howteng mentality thing?