Fox F100 rlc - HELP (JB, anybody)

quickdraw

Hi

I have a 2007 Fox 32 f100 rlc - during my last ride it developed a clicking sound when compressed. The sound is not constant and it only does it once during the compression stage.

The sound is also present on occasion if I wheel the bike forward and pull the front brake (gives a click). If I hold the bike upright sans front wheel and knock the lowers from the front back and then from the back forward - also makes the sound.

I checked the headset and that is fine (it makes the sound if I take all stress off the headset). I also took it to 2 bikeshops - one said it sounds like the headset and the other says that the fork needs a service - apparently there is a little brass "thing" which might have blocked up and is not currently letting oil through.

To me it sounds like something is not seated correctly? The fork works fine otherwise.

Also never knocked it or done anything hectic with the fork. The lowers look fine and there is no signs of cracks.

Anybody have the same thing happen to them or have any idea on what the problem could be.

Sorry for the long winded explaination.

it needs a service, mines starting after 8 months.

mine will get its first one free next week...

after that, i dont know,heard its expensive.

the top of the right leg has a blu lever (lock-out)

i was told its either fully open or locked NOT anywhere in between..

Perhaps someone can explain that...

Hi

I have a 2007 Fox 32 f100 rlc - during my last ride it developed a clicking sound when compressed. The sound is not constant and it only does it once during the compression stage.

The sound is also present on occasion if I wheel the bike forward and pull the front brake (gives a click). If I hold the bike upright sans front wheel and knock the lowers from the front back and then from the back forward - also makes the sound.

I checked the headset and that is fine (it makes the sound if I take all stress off the headset). I also took it to 2 bikeshops - one said it sounds like the headset and the other says that the fork needs a service - apparently there is a little brass "thing" which might have blocked up and is not currently letting oil through.

To me it sounds like something is not seated correctly? The fork works fine otherwise.

Also never knocked it or done anything hectic with the fork. The lowers look fine and there is no signs of cracks.

Anybody have the same thing happen to them or have any idea on what the problem could be.

Sorry for the long winded explaination.

Not a long-winded explanation at all. You've taken great trouble to eliminate any peripheral causes and given a good description. Unfortunately I can't give you a definitive answer.

The only place where a fork does move in the situation you describe is between the stanchions and their internal bushes. Worn bushes have a perceptable movement and depending on the condition of the oil inside, gives different audible feedback for the same movement. You've described yours as a click, whereas normally it is felt as a clunk, which would indicate wear. Your fork is new.

I'll guess one bushing has come unseated but it is highly unlikely, since it is a press-fit. The only way to be sure is to open it up and have a look.

It is a relatively new fork and if the seals are still good you obviously don't want to replace them prematurely. Find someone nice that will open them and have a look for you without charging you for a full service and overhaul.