maxxis or spez tyres

MTBiker

which is the best fot xc/trail riding  

9 members have voted

1. 1. which is the best fot xc/trail riding

• Maxxis Crossmark
    • Spez fast trak
    • spez captain

My friend is riding with Kenda nevegals. His back tyre has worn a way in a year. I've heard crossmarks last a while and my spez fast traks have lasted 2 years and are still good. I've also heard he captains are good tyres although they have more rolling resistance.

What would the best tyre be for training and races like. MTB challenge, vigne de vigne stellenbosch etc.

His budget isn't big so cant' afford conti's , racing ralphs. Was qoued around R250-R350. for crossmark none-tubeless.

would appreciate Any comments on pros/cons

Mmmmmmmmmm... <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The responses will be followed with interest.  I also use Kenda Nevegal, found them to be very good in keeping traction and getting rid of mud, but they are heavy and slow when the going gets easier.  Not so much a problem with them lasting though, my rear tyre has worn very quickly, but that is because of tar riding (My MTB is also used for commuting to work in back, easier to get out of the why of the less than average motorist...)

Looking to change, but not to sure what will be the best change...Confused

Well for his use as a training tyre the Maxxis is better and would last much longer as I think it uses a harder rubber (60a??) on the plain model.

But for a fast, sticky, high volume and low pressure racing tyre the spesh is much better and a bit lighter, but if his budget is small the spesh tyres will be too expensive.

Personally I hate Kendas, had Nevegals which wore out way too fast and some karmas which only gave me bad karma! For me they had poor grip (even in the sticky guise) and I once road over a piece of stump or something that shredded the tyre so badly (was stans converted) that it deflated within a meter or two, spraying selant everywhere.

Im also of the opinion that these Kenda tyres cost Burry lots of races due to flats, so Im glad he now rides spesh tyres.

Just my 2c...

They don't come cheap but Maxxis Larson TT's are good value for money as long as it is dry. Got over 2000km on mine.

The Maxxis Crossmark is good all rounder and stands its ground when the weather and conditions turns wet. Think you can get both for about R350 - but its not tubeless.

Friend of mine rates WTB and their not that expensive - think in region of R300

Your friend doesn't cycle enough...my Nevegal is sat after 6months!

Seriously though, a tyre will wear faster due to softer compount. I love my Nevegals. Will only trade it for High Rollers. Crossmark is great for XC or Marathon, but not allround enough or grippy enough for me. I'm willing to sacrifice tyre life for that.

I find Spec tyres to be crap. Sidewalls are WAY too thin and most of them drift in a straight line. Cornering grip is laughable on most but extreme wet or DH compounds. They are too focust on speed and weight to be used by me.

But you ride what you prefer. That's why there are a million different tyres.