HR questions????

Guest Big H

Guest Big H

I have a few questions and I hope hubbers can help me.

Why is the KCal measurement for women so much less than for men? I have asked the question before and the answer was "it is a womens thing" .... not an acceptable answer!!!

Is the KCal measured by a Polar HRM equatable to calories as shown on foodstuffs or is it an empirical equation that calculates your KCal and makes you feel good. What I am trying to determine..... If I burn 1000KCal during training and also measure a 24h KCal consumption of myself, is it equatable to the daily Calories needed for an active male/female? Can this be used to monitor and plan meals for weight loss? Ie total daily food less than daily use will cause weight loss?????.

Is one KCal 1000 Calories?. One calorie is 0,0041868 Kilojoule?

Is the Polar KCal accurate or just an empirical measurement like the so called VO2 max they also measure????

Thanx in advance.

Guest Michelle

Hey Big H,

The higher your weight the more calories will burn & men are generally heavier than women (well sometimes)...

Men also naturally burn more weight than women, which they say is linked to testosterone - this is also why men have a naturally lower body fat % & why the use of steroids will help to lower men & womens body fat. 

You can take a look on my website www.12-weeks.co.za (no I'm not advertising - the web shop is CLOSED & I'm done with the whole Body for Life thing) & click on calculators - there is a calculator to determine your caloric requirements for the day based on your age, activity level, etc.  You can then add the calories you burn while on the bike & this should be the approximate amount of calories you're burning in a day.. try & eat less than this & you'll lose weight.. easy peasy. 

I think 1 Calorie = just over 4 Kj's.. just say 4, easier to calculate your food requirements for the day. smileys/smiley2.gif

Regarding the accuracy of the polar... I doubt it's perfect but I'm sure it's close enough...

Guest Big H

Thanx Michelle

According to the "Convert" programme I have, one Kilocalorie= 4,1868 Kilojoules. Is Kilocalorie the same as KCal on Polar???? Is one KCal then 1000 calories??? I will look at your website later.

H

Guest Michelle

Big H:  It gets confusing.. when people refer to calories, they usually mean KCal... also called "food calories".  So when they say that an apple has e.g. 100 calories, they actually mean kilocalories.  If you'd rather work in Kj's, you can set your polar to display in Kj, rather than KCal smileys/smiley2.gif

Guest Michelle

Oh, and on the calculator, they're also KCal.....

e.g.

My RMR is 1067 calories / day

Saturday I burnt 1350 calories

Total = 2417 calories.. that means I'm allowed 24 apples or two & a half extra large chocolate milkshakes from Mcdonalds - if you don't believe me check out the mcdonalds website smileys/smiley11.gif