V-Brake to Disc Upgrade - Advice needed

ShadowSA

Hi everyone

I need some advice.  I have a Raleigh RM5 ( http://www.raleigh.co.za/bikes.php?rangeid=20&bikeid=182&year=2008#spec ) and my wife a Scott Contessa (This one http://scottusa.com/gb_en/product/245/846/contessa_30 ). Currently she has V-brakes on. I'm going to upgrade my setup to a Shimano Integrated set and want to move my old disc brakes to her bike.

It will be very expensive to buy a complete new wheelset. I have Shimano M535 hubs on my bike, can I just buy the same for hers? Will we need shorter spokes?  Then I can keep the rims and just get it installed locally.

Will the rear casette fit the new hub? 

What is your feeling on integrated head sets?

Thanks in advance.

ShadowSA2009-08-11 01:52:31

As for the hubs, yes you can simply change them as to whether you will need to shorten the spokes - maybe, there may even be a chance you will need longer spokes. Shortening is easier enough with the correct tools, but if they are too short you will need to invest in plenty new spokes, so the cost climbs.

Get a quote on new M535 hubs and the cost to re-build the wheels and then compare to acquiring a cheap set of disc wheels or 2nd hand ones.

Rear cassette should fit the new hub.

Daxiet2009-08-11 01:49:25

Why are you asking about intergrated headsets? You can not change to or away from it if you frame is/is not designed for it.

Re the wheels, it can be a bit expensive to have the hubs replaced. You will need hubs, ten to one spokes and building it can be pricey. Maybe you can get some nice boutique wheels (Fulcrum 5 or Mavics) for about R2000 and give your wheels to your wife. Okay the rebuild of her wheels will be less then the boutique wheels but then you get to kill two birds with one stone.

As for the hubs' date=' yes you can simply change them as to whether you will need to shorten the spokes - maybe, there may even be a chance you will need longer spokes. Shortening is easier enough with the correct tools, but if they are too short you will need to invest in plenty new spokes, so the cost climbs.

Get a quote on new M535 hubs and the cost to re-build the wheels and then compare to acquiring a cheap set of disc wheels or 2nd hand ones.

Rear cassette should fit the new hub.

[/quote']

Spokes cannot be shortened and re-threaded without special tools. A normal die to re-thread the spoke cannot be used. If shorter spokes are required new spokes will have to be purchased. If it is a eight/nine speed freehub it can be re-used.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">