Cheap Slicks for MTB

Aranda

I am looking for slicks for my MTB to train and participate in the Momentum 94.7 race.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Last week I was offered cheap slicks of R80 each and was told these are size 40-559 Kenda tyres and are perfect for the 94.7 race. No brand name or logo could be found on the tyre.

Has anyone any experience using these inexpensive tyres or should I stick to the Continental Sport Contact size 42-559 at a price of about R280 each?

Any comments?

Never used no-name brand slicks myself, but at R80 what have you got to loose?

Try them and let us know how they perform.

Just inspect them often so that you can pick up problems before they catch you out on the road.

There's nothing wrong with the Kendas at all. They're the MTB tire equivalent of Giant-branded items (in the accessories department) All the same features of a more expensive tire (except for weight, maybe) at a fraction of the price of the boutique items. 

I am looking for some cheap slicks for the 94.7 as well.  Mind telling us where you can get at that price ?

i've got some slicks that also cost me 80 each. Slick in the middle with knobs on the sides. Might also be kenda. They are nice for messing around and training with your mtb on the road. For racing, i use ritchey Tom Slicks, 1" tyre, very fast.

Sportsman used to sell them at R60, same tyres. Used them on my mtb for over a year and worked very well!!

Schwalbe City PLUS

reflective sidewall, PLUS puncture protection (their thickest pucture protection layer - about 5mm)

26x1.75

retail about R180.00

Based on the advice and feedback from other members, I have today decided to take a chance and bought myself a pair of the R80-00 Kenda slicks, size 40-559, for my MTB. Also included were smaller 26 x 1.5 tubes; my knobblies are size 26 x 2.1.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Since the tire has a fairly deep single channel right in the middle of the running surface and just for extra insurance, I have also bought tire liners to protect against punctures.

As requested above, I shall give some feedback after a few weeks of using these new Kenda slicks.

Finally, in response to another question above, I got these tires at Centurion Cycles, telephone (012) 663 8047, located in the Bazaruto Shopping Centre, just off the intersection of <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

Hendrik Verwoerd Drive
and
South Street
in Centurion. (This is a large intersection with a traffic light and the Standard Bank Centurion Branch building on the one corner.)  

been to the old mans shop, some of their stock good prices as they not helluva busy (old price) and the old man always willing to help.