Triathlon tyres

mataz

Ok, thanks Windblown, that's what I use for road racing, but isn't it better to use a full slick like the Schwalbe Ultremo? mataz2009-09-16 04:53:39

Done some reading on the topic myself.

Have a fascinating article comparing 16 clinchers and tubbies tyres measuring grip, rolling resistance and puncture protection.

Results are surprising.

Not sure where I downloaded it from. Email me and I will send it too you (too big to upload here).

My own thoughts are that if you contending for a win go for the fastest available, but then your bike should be optimised as well. You probably do lots of races and can live will a bad race due to equipment failure.

For the rest of us, the few seconds saved by having a slightly faster tyre is totally negated by the risk of puncture. If you are doing your one Ironman for the year, then don't risk mucking it up by taking too higher risk.

The highest puncture resistance will dictate my choice of tyre for 70.3 next year (my first). My performance will be about my legs.

dave@digitalinspiration.co.za