Import Duties on Cycling Clothing

grumpy

i understand what the goverment is trying to do and agree with it, what i dont understand is how local maufactured goods costs the same or even more than overseas goods.

in my line of work i have seen how south africans love to "rape" each other on pricing.

Camel would be considered back pack and pay 30%

So, does this mean that a Camelbak Mule off Pounds 55 would work out as follow ?:

55 * 13 = Rands 715 for the product * 100/117 = 611 (ex vat UK)

Duty is 10% + 30%, therefore 611 * 40% = 244

Then VAT = 611 + 244 = 855 * 1.14 = Rands 975

Then shipping cost of Rands 128 +975 = Rands 1103

Then it is actually more expensive than in South africa!!

its not only on clothing by the way - i recently got nailed on shoes!

30% customs imports duties and also the 10% customs clearance duties as well Angry

but be more careful on items you order, debit the credit card as they are "in stock", then chain reaction cycles figures out they dont have the stock, so they credit your card at a different exchange rate, and the loss goes for your account, even if its their error Confused.  the spread in the market rates is huge - beware

i also purchased a camelbak mule, and only paid 10% customs fee and the normal 14%, so i gather customs codes it as bike parts and not clothing. - if you're unsure call customs they are actually quite friendly