Cape Town for 6 months.

-Stefan-

Hi Hubbers,

I am Stefan from Belgium and I'm leaving next monday to work as a kitesurf instructor for six months in Tableview/Blouberg.

As I said, I'm a belgian so I'm also a cyclist Wink and I have a few questions.

My trip to south africa was a last minute/month decision and I was very very pleased to find out that there is quite a bit of cycling going on in your country so my first 'thing to buy' was a big hardcase to take my bike.

Surfing around I found out about the Argus, Cape Epic, the numerous mtb tours around, the PPA, etc etc.

I had already decided to leave for CapeTown, but I think you can understand this research made me happy Wink

When I started to bike, the thing I loved most was the fact that I got to know places in my area which were totally new to me, beautiful nature ,... So the idea to explore a completely new country on my bike makes me dream.

So I didn't hesitate to enroll for the Argus and for the Die Burger seeding event.

Now, at first I'm looking out for some training partners/groups because I don't have a clue about the good training roads in the area. The Outriders in Blouberg seems to be the best decision in the area.

Because I will be working on the beach and weekends might be busy I will have quite a bit of time to go riding on weekdays, so if you live in the area and you don't work eg. on fridays, be sure to send me an email. I also like to take the bike in the car to explore new horizons in the area.

Last (europeanWink) summer I also started to ride some amateur races and I do quite a bit of training so my cycling condition is good.

Is there an amateur racing 'tour' in the CT area? I can handle a 60km ride on a flat parcours at a 38-40avs (riding in peloton)

What about MTB'ing in the area?

I want to thank you all in advance and perhaps I'll meet you on the bike in the next weeks (die burger is only 2 weeks from now Wink)

Greetings,

Stefan

stefanvansteenberge(at)gmail.com

-Stefan-2009-11-14 14:39:11

" Welkom" My name is George i ride 4 the CYCLES DIRECT Cycling Club in that area.They are a great group of fun guys.I know all the safe cycling routes in that area and you are welcome to cycle with us.Give me a call when ready 0845847174   

Guest Frail4Life

Welcome to Thehub and South Africa, we should meet up sometime.

Looking forward to some good riding.

Cheers

Hi Stefan

Firstly congratulations on your spontaneous decision to visit South Africa. Cape Town is one of the best places in South Africa to go MTB'ing and there are numerous trails to check out.

All over Table Mountain are jeep tracks which are great for training as well as getting a great view of the city. If you travel a bit up north along the west coast you can go ride in the Koeberg nature reserve, which has a 22km round loop of jeep track with plenty of zebras, eland, springbok and other wildlife to keep you company. You can also get a great view of the nuclear power plant in the center of the reserve (the reserve is like a safety zone for the power plant). All the jeep track is nice hard pack so its great for training.

On the southern side of Table Mountain is Tokai Arboretum which has a great variety of singletrack, jeep track as well as the main downhill. From here you can ride all the way up to the radio mast on Constantiaberg, or ride up to Noordhoek peak through silvermine.

Jonkershoek is another epic place to ride, enough jeep tracks and climbing to keep you training for hours, stunning views at the top and km's of great singletrack on the way down.

As far as road riding goes there are many cycling clubs in the area and I'm sure you can get in contact with them through here.

Waw, thanks for the fast replies!

I was still in doubt whether to take my roadbike or mtb but now it seems I should defin. take both.

Or do you think it might be a better option to buy a mtb 2nd hand?

Will I find some bike/bike maintenance shops in the blouberg area?

-Stefan-2009-11-14 15:23:59

Waw' date=' thanks for the fast replies!

I was still in doubt whether to take my roadbike or mtb but now it seems I should defin. take both.

Or do you think it might be a better option to buy a mtb 2nd hand?

Will I find some bike/bike maintenance shops in the blouberg area?

[/quote']

well, take both if you can, otehrwise it's the MTB. SA is MTB heaven!

I would definitely say bring both if you can, otherwise you can always find a good second hand bike right here on the hub.

There are two shops I go to in the Tableview/Blaauberg area.

Cycle Teknix

145 Blaauwberg rd

Table View

021 5568207

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=36346

The Cycle Factory Store

Unit S29 Spearhead Business Park

Montague Drive and Freedom Way

Montague Gardens

http://www.cyclefactory.co.za/

Ok, I have the hardcase for my Racebike, so now I should be able to find a cardboard box and use lot's of styrofoam to fit the MTB.

I checked the websites of the shops, guess I 'll be able to find everything I need...

Hi Stefan, send me an email when you arrive, I'll be on holiday for a while and we can make a plan to go for a ride. I only do mtb, hate the road. I also have a friend who is a kite surfing instructor.

Look forward to hearing from you

Chris

cvn@webonlinemail.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stefan and all Mountain Bikers,

I am from Brazil and I will be arround SA for for new year till end of january.

I am also taking my bike with me, because I am a MTB addicted and I need partners to trainning every day a lots of uphill kilometers... Smile

Can not belive that I am going to ride where every mountain biker would love to race...

I will be arround the hostel "Backpackers on Highlevel‏"  on 26/12 hopefully.

Also need some tips about bike stuff... thinking about taking my bike in a soft case (hard case will be heavy and big to transport arround SA (??)), 2.0 hutchinson phyton tire tubeless...

Thanks for all the help and good lucky for you Stefan!

Cheers!

I am also taking my bike with me' date=' because I am a MTB addicted and I need partners to trainning every day a lots of uphill kilometers... Smile

[/quote']

If you come to Cape Town, make sure you do the ride up to the mast on Constantiaberg, its a pretty good climb. And If you still feeling energetic after that, you can come back down and then go back up the other to Noordhoek peak.

Hi Parabola, I appreciate your advice!  I looked at google images and it looks like a hard climbing.

As I said before, I will stay at the backpackers on High Road and I can be a partner any time, ok.

Thanks a lot! 
lexvib2009-11-30 08:41:13