Frame Sizes Help Please

philip.maree

I am looking to buy another hardtail frame but I am currently sitting the following dilemma

My current frame is 'n 20" with a top tube length of 605mm. The 20" frame that I am looking to buy has a top tube length of 585mm and the 22" frame has a top tube length of 595mm.

Should I rather go for the 22" frame? Or what else should I be taking into consideration

I am looking to buy another hardtail frame but I am currently sitting the following dilemma

My current frame is 'n 20" with a top tube length of 605mm. The 20" frame that I am looking to buy has a top tube length of 585mm and the 22" frame has a top tube length of 595mm.

Should I rather go for the 22" frame? Or what else should I be taking into consideration

Oi, that's a can of worms :)

Sounds like you have a sloping top tube, so the first thing to remember is that if that angle is different (one slopes more than the other), you're going to get a different size.  You want the virtual top tube -- the horizontal one.

Then there's angles: seat tube angle changes the effective top tube.

And there's head-tube height, which will change low your handlebars can go.

Oi' date=' that's a can of worms :)

Sounds like you have a sloping top tube, so the first thing to remember is that if that angle is different (one slopes more than the other), you're going to get a different size.  You want the virtual top tube -- the horizontal one.

Then there's angles: seat tube angle changes the effective top tube.

And there's head-tube height, which will change low your handlebars can go.

[/quote']

The current frame has a 70.5? head tube angle and a 73? seat tube angle

The new 20" frame has a 71? heat tube angle and a 73? seat tube angle

The new 22" frame has a 71? heat tube angle and a 72.5? seat tube angle

So what it boils down to is that the seat tube length is different, correct?