Disable GPS Tracking (Cape Epic)

Unathi

Hi,

The Cape Epic rules for 2010 states:

"GPS tracking of the Absa Cape Epic route is prohibited. The use of GPS units to monitor heart rate, cadence, speed etc is only allowed if the track log has been disabled. The responsibility of switching off the tracking functionality is with the rider. Any rider found tracking the route will be disqualified."

Any bright people out there figured out a way to use a Garmin Edge 705 yet?

Been looking everywhere on how to do this. I use the GPS for speed / distance (not the the supplied magnet unit)

Assistance much apreceated!!

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to use the magnet if you disable the GPS.  The real issue is why does the Cape Epic ban GPS tracking and then break its own rules.  Consider the following:

1)  All the leaders in last years Cape Epic used GPS tracking devices.  Why is there one set of rules for leaders and another for the rest of the participants.

2)  The real issue is trespassing.  Surely we as Mtb riders must respect land rights and obligations.  Banning GPS is not going to solve the issue of respect for land rights!