Good Samaritan

D Vader

Smile

My usual commute turned out to be one of those days when everything goes wrong. Used the roadbike not the mtb.

Punctured going to work, used my only bomb and one spare tube. going home punctured, tried to use pump, faulty, tube fix failed at garage, started walking home, so many guys in bakkies and cars with bikeracks passed me carrying my bike, thanks.

Maugo ( hope the name is correct) in a red Opel corsa bakkie stopped and gave me a lift all the way home. You are my hero, I''ll somehow repay this kindness.

This lekker om ook sulke stories te hoor. Ek is ook al so uitgehelp 'n paar keer, onlangs deur 'n weldoener op die Ou Paarl pad naby Paarl wat minder bevoorreg is.  EK dink ons land is vol sulke diamante en dit is sulke tye wat jy hulle ontdek en waar hulle kan skyn.

D Vader - there are stil good people out there. You will repay it - one day you will do something for someone else.

Possibly not at all, haha!

In december I got multiple punctures riding the Cradle route and ended up pushing my MTB 10km.

Similar thing happened 2 weeks ago. Got a puncture on my way to work. Used my spare tube. Got one on the way home. Pushed 7km.

Hopefully the addition of tyre liners and slime, will prevent any pushing (besides the pushing I do when I have that stupid idea of using my DH bike to commute to work. It's great fun bombing down the rain-trashed dirt paths next to the road... not so fun when the uphills come, haha)!

I remember this one time I was out riding my road bike...On the way back it started pouring down. Within seconds there was nothing dry on me. I was about 5km from home when an oke in a bakkie pulled up next to me, rolled down his window and asked if I wanted a lift home...I just smiled and declined the offer! I was soaking wet...My wet ass on his dry car seat? Nah! But fanks anyway1

Not too long ago I was out cycling at the back of Dairnfern/chicken farm/Broadacres/thatgeneralarea and got a puncture on my tubeless tyre. Was a bit lazy with the maintenance at the time and there was no Stans in my tyre so it would not seal. I ended up carrying my mtb torwards William Nicol on one of the dirt roads. Some dude and his wife passed me in their black Land Cruizer going somewhere and they stopped and offered to help. He even turned around and went back home to fecth a spare tube for me and stuck around to see if I was sorted. By the look on his wife's face he was in deep poopoo for doing a good deed. Thank you dude in the black Land Cruizer

Maybe we should start a "feel good/Good Samaritan" thread filled with stories of do-gooders. Maybe it would inspire more cyclists to help a fellow cyclist out or pay it forward like in the movie in stead of ripping the ring out of each other...

Maybe we should start a "feel good/Good Samaritan" thread filled with stories of do-gooders. Maybe it would inspire more cyclists to help a fellow cyclist out or pay it forward like in the movie in stead of ripping the ring out of each other...

For sure! After being off a bike for 5yrs, I decided to start again. After a few commutes to work, I rode out to the cradle on my cheap-n-nasty raleigh MTB. Just about every cyclist I saw out there greeted me. It was great!

I stopped to have a rest and adjust my seatpost, two guys riding up towards me stopped to ask if everything was ok and if I needed help (I think they figured I had a drive-train problem... not just a fitness one, haha).

But yeah! It was a good experience just feeling pretty welcome. (The cyclists that is... don't think the cradle residents share the same sentiment from what I've read, haha!... but I dunno... haven't been out there in a while).

Yup! All for a "good samaritan feel good thread" where hubbers can share stories of kindness.

Yeah

I generally have a great vibe on my way to work, try to greet everyone on the way, i find the cars make way if they see you, so I dress like a psychotic colourblind penguin, with lights. We need to change this culture of fear on the roads. I'm on some of the busiest roads in jhb and i've only needed to mace 2 taxis in several yrs.

thanks for the feedback

I cycle to work and back - Brackenfell <--> Stellenbosch almost everyday. Near Stellenbosch I would frequently get a puncture and decided to get additional 2 spares form the local bike shop. Would you believe 20 km later I was able to assist a salesman of the same shop with a spare inner I just bought from them, after he had multiple punctures!

I cycle to work and back - Brackenfell <--> Stellenbosch almost everyday. Near Stellenbosch I would frequently get a puncture and decided to get additional 2 spares form the local bike shop. Would you believe 20 km later I was able to assist a salesman of the same shop with a spare inner I just bought from them' date=' after he had multiple punctures![/quote'] Hope you sold it back to him at a hyper inflated price Wink

The thought did cross my mind, but nahhh. I caught him the next day on the road again and he gave me a tube with slime in it, in exchange.  I am bargaining for a huge discount I visit their shop again. Smile