Hunter target Tour stage Win...

superman2007

Posted on 05 July 2007 - 23:35

http://images.supersport.co.za/HunterRobert070311TrophyGLbg.jpgSouth African cycling history will be made in London on Saturday when Team Barloworld's riders launch their challenge in the Tour de France.

Robert Hunter will become the first South African to captain a team in the world's most famous cycling event.

It is also the first time that a South African company sponsors a Tour de France team.

Many experts feel Hunter is capable of winning a stage this year. He is in top form and has already won the Picardie and the Volta ao Santarem tours this year.

No South African has won a stage on the Tour de France. However, Barloworld team director Claudio Corti makes no secret of their goals. "We will ride aggressively," he says.

"It is important for our riders to be where the action is throughout the three weeks.

"If they think intelligently and take risks at the right time there is no reason why the team should not win a stage."

Much is also expected of Barloworld's Geraint Thomas, a British rider who should do well during the first two weeks. He may even win the 8km prologue on Saturday.

SPRINTING IS HIS STRONG POINT

The 21-year-old Thomas was a member of the British team that won the gold medal in the team pursuit at the world track championships earlier this year. Sprinting is his strong point.

Another Barloworld rider who has a chance of winning a stage before the teams reach the Alps is Enrico Degano, an Italian who won the 197.6km GP Internacional CTT Correios race in Portugal recently.

When the riders reach the mountains, Felix Cardenas will be the man Barloworld will rely on. He has won a stage in the Vuelta Rspana and one in the Tour de France.

The names of the team's nine riders were announced last Sunday. John-Lee Augustyn was not selected, probably because the talented rider is considered too young.

The Barloworld team: Robert Hunter (SA) Felix Cardenas (Colombia), Gianpaolo Cheula (Italy), Enrico Degano (Italy), Alexander Efimkim (Russia), Paolo Longo Borghini (Italy), Kanstantsin Siutsou (Belgium), Mauricio Soler (Colombia) and Geraint Thomas (UK).