Recovery time after having the flu.

How long should a athlete stay off the bike after having the flu?

I am back at work already but my head still feels a bit congested. I have been off the bike for a week already but do not want to start training too soon. Im afraid I might get sick again.

Finish your Anti-Biotics. Wait 2 days and start with a light 1 hour ride. Take another 2 days off and do a moderate ride and see how you feel after that.

Yes, the key is to start with low intensity sessions untill you're fully recovered. I woke up this morning feeling sick, so will only be doing some low intensity sessions and now strengthtraining untill I feel better.

1 full week off, then one week really low intensity

then build up from there.

Take your time bud, I was so worried about losing fitness, but i came back after two weeks and beat some personal TT records, so be patient.

Listen to your body I have Pneumonia after Knysna and 2 weeks later I still not even thinking about riding Doc recons it can take up to 3 months to be totally over any chest type illness

mmm, Flu?

Still congested? Is your whole body also sore?

A lot of people confuses a common cold with flu.

The difference could only be a couple of days quicker recovery.

If congested only, one could ride very lightly for short periods.

If throat is sore, body aching abd very congested, dont even look at your bike.

You will literally kill yourself.

Not now but possible in 10 to 15 years time.

Your heart is working very hard in keeping your body going.

To excersise in this condition could cause heart failure and kill you.

Bottom line. Don't do anything untill you feel 100% healed.

Hey guys

While on this subject.

Just came from the Doctor this morning. Have a throat infection, noise congested at times, irritating cough and a bit of a temperature. Will start anti-biotics today. So it means I will have to finish it, wait two days and then start training lightly only? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

best thing you can do is watch your heart rate. if (resting)it's still up, take it easy & be VERY careful.

Also, lots of bugs cause lots of nasty symptoms but they're not strictly 'flu. does that matter??? a bunch of viruses that have nothing to do with 'flu can cause myocarditis where your heart muscle takes serious strain. the only way you'll really know that this is happening is if you monitor your pulse - both when you wake up first thing and ALSO while you are exercising. there's a lot of rubbish out there about what myocarditis is and how it affects you. just waiting a week after you've had an infection isn't actually enough. you HAVE to watch your heart rate carefully whether you're worrying about something like myocarditis or just about recovering properly!!

• 2 weeks later...

So if my nose is congested up to the point where I can't even get any sleep, but my hr is still fine, can I then keep on doing low intensity riding.

My body feels like it's ready to ride an ultra marathon. Just my nose and my sore throat at night.

Just been out for 3 months with bronchitis and flu. Only got back on the bike over the last weekend. Thanks god for the Hub for keeping me sane.