early morning ride with pics

mbaymike

I take it you are referring to the marsh street hill that leaves town and goes up towards the spar and so on.  that is a killer...have not had the guts to tackle it yet....lolEmbarrassed

I have, got about 50m up, tried to get off, nearly fell, had some or the other local full of papsak laugh at me and turned around.  Might try it this time, in my CAR!!!LOL

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are getting me worried. I'm doing a cycle tour starting in Mossel Bay and the website states:

"We climb a seemingly never ending hill out of town. It?s not like a pass but it starts off steep and then gradually gets flatter so you can never quite see the top."

Hope it's not the same hill!

Guest colonel

Very nice. It is so lovely to be out and about that early in the day.

I remember as couple of years back we had 1 month holiday in Cape Town in December. We stayed out in Macasar (at Boys Town) and cycled every day towards Gordonsbay or Stellenboch early in the mornings. Lovely views.

Can I ask why you were at Boys Town?

mbaymike - you should pop in and say hello sometime, think we're the only two from mbay on the hub. BUT, you will have to do Marsh Street then, I'm right the top. (of the hill, that is!)

Mbay is great cycling country, wish Pinnacle Point could host a weekend of cycling here. Hill climbs to dream of, etc etc .... not to mention that we have the 2nd mildest climate in the WORLD. (according to the Guiness Book of Records)

These were taken from my stoep, on two consecutive days   ... spot the snow on the first one

20071022_054336_PA080004-3.JPG

20071022_054411_PA070003-5.JPG

Used to go to Klein Brak every year, grandparents stayed there. Decided the one time to ride thru to George & back via N2(about 13yrs ago). Man those hills are never ending on the bike. Lucky for me on the way back just leaving George I slashed my tire & ended up having to phone for a lift home.

Nicest part of SA!! Will go visit the parentals next year then I'll ask you guys to show me the scenes on a bike.

Hi Ronelle,

Good to hear from another mbay local.  will try and come around some time....maybe you can join us on a ride over the weekend....it would be good if Pinnacle Point could arrange a race or even weekend for cycling.  We could even have some kind of expo or something...at least it won't be as noisy as the Buffalo RallyTongue

PS. nice pics!!

Mandibles it does sound like THE ONE....maybe ronelle can shed some more light but if it comes from town I have no doubt that it is the marsh street hill....it is not long....just hard on cold legs and death on tired legs....take your pic....lol....if you can do suikerbossie you can do marsh street.

Thanks MbayMike. Fortunately my legs will be very fresh as it is at the start of my 9 day tour Smile 

Last year they started the tour with Montagu Pass outside George so I reckon that I should be able to survive this too. Will definitely take a pic though. Tongue

Pleasure Mandibles.  You should make it up the hill quite easy.  what is the website where the details of the tour are posted....I am curious to get more details.

Yes the ride to George is not something to laugh at....Groot Brak hoogte is quite a tough one if you are not used to hills....about 4.5km long, twisting and feels never ending.  But luckily not very steep.  The route from Hartenbos - Groot Brak - up the hill - back through Glentana and past rheebok and tergniet is a brilliant ride. Undulating and about 65km of good riding.

You guys are getting me worried. I'm doing a cycle tour starting in Mossel Bay and the website states:

"We climb a seemingly never ending hill out of town. It?s not like a pass but it starts off steep and then gradually gets flatter so you can never quite see the top."

Hope it's not the same hill!

Marsh Street Hill looks like this Mandibles. Better warm up properly if this is your start!20071022_113136_Marsh.JPG

Looks like a breeze compared to last year's start. See below:

20071022_114354_20070805_030737.jpg

Hell no thanks....that is some hill. why does it look like old helshoogte pass or am I wrong...doing the Burger Tour on 2nd Dec. Confused