I feel unstable on my bike

GregC

Friend of mine bought a brand new bike from his LBS and had the same complaint. I checked it and for the life of me could not ride it hands free. On closer inspection we discovered the LBS buggered up the aheadset assembly and hence there was some play which caused the steerer tube to move ever so slightly from side to side, making it impossible to keep a straight line. Perfect now.

So came to the conclusion that I feel a lot more steady on my slightly scrappy single speed project bike, than I do on my Scott dual suspension.

My Giant singlespeed has a large frame, the Scott has a small frame. The Scott feels like the front wheel wants to fall over to the side, and feels generally "twitchy", but on the giant I feel like i can ride in a straight line at 0.001 kilometers an hour...

Any suggestions welcome.

thanks

Try ride a bit faster mate.

0.001 is track standing.

And I still cant do that after 4 years of riding.

0.001 is track standing.

Hahaha thanks I'll try. I like going fast on my bikes but it helps to be able to go slowly too.

0.001 is track standing.

The secret to a trackstand is to have something to push against.

Trackstands are easiest on a slight uphill. Come to a halt, and then balance against the bike's tendency to roll backwards down the hill.

Once you have got that right, move on to using the road's camber as something to balance against on a flat road (i.e., no uphill).

For me, the right foot needs to be forward at 3 o'clock and ideally, the bars turned slightly to the right, but some different combo might work for you.

What is key though, is having some resistance to balance against, so that the bike can be allowed to roll back and forward a tiny bit if necessary to maintain balance.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

The secret to a trackstand is to have something to push against.

Trackstands are easiest on a slight uphill. Come to a halt, and then balance against the bike's tendency to roll backwards down the hill.

Once you have got that right, move on to using the road's camber as something to balance against on a flat road (i.e., no uphill).

For me, the right foot needs to be forward at 3 o'clock and ideally, the bars turned slightly to the right, but some different combo might work for you.

What is key though, is having some resistance to balance against, so that the bike can be allowed to roll back and forward a tiny bit if necessary to maintain balance.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

:thumbup: