My first tubeless conversion

Caerus

So I'm about too attempt my first tubeless conversion. Ive looked at various clips online & read what I can on the hub so have got pretty much an idea of what I need to do. Just have a couple questions though

Ive got the Effetto tubeless valve kits, Stans rim strip & Stans sealant. As far as I know thats all I need. Just need to make 100% Im on the right track :thumbup:

Question 1: In the pic of the existing rim tape, is it neccessary to put the Stans rim tape over this to make doubly sure there will be no air leakage?

Question 2 : Should I rather remove the existing rim strip & exchange for the Stans rather? Bearing in mind the existing stuff is very, very old. It also looks very thick compared to the Stans rim strip

Question 3: What is correct combination of parts for the tubeless valve kit, ie the washer, the round rubber seal & the tubeless valve? Ive taken a picture of the combination, but looking at my other bikes tubeless conversion(shop did that), the dont seem to have the rubber seal or washer, are these needed? Or does the valve just go straight through from the inside(rim strip side) throught the valve hole and just screw it together from the other side as per a normal tube.?

post-13006-0-55361800-1297504166.jpg

post-13006-0-65403500-1297504185.jpg

post-13006-0-82518500-1297504203.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck out the old rim strip- you don't need it (added weight :D ) I've never seen a rubber seal used before. Use it if you want, but I don't think it's needed. Use lots of soapy water as it helps lube things and seal the bead. Best of luck.

Chuck out the old rim strip- you don't need it (added weight :D ) I've never seen a rubber seal used before. Use it if you want, but I don't think it's needed. Use lots of soapy water as it helps lube things and seal the bead. Best of luck.

What happens with the soapy water & the stans sealant mixing together?

What happens with the soapy water & the stans sealant mixing together?

A huge explosion! No dude nothing happens. You must use soapy water- it makes the tyre slid better onto the rim.

Cant seem to get it to stay inflated, the foot/ hand pump is no good & tried three bombs. Air escapes and can't spin it fast enough(also don't have a truing stand to spin it on) for it too plug up. I suppose an air compressor pump would work better, doh :(

The soapie water should actually just be the soap suds and not the water. It does much more than lubricate. When you pump the wheel with the suds inside you get the same explosive effect than when you put soap water in a bottle and you shake it. That helps with the sealing on tubeless conversions.

The soapie water should actually just be the soap suds and not the water. It does much more than lubricate. When you pump the wheel with the suds inside you get the same explosive effect than when you put soap water in a bottle and you shake it. That helps with the sealing on tubeless conversions.

Tried it and it still wouldn't stay inflated, I also only used the bubbles. I rubbed the bubbles all the way round on both sides of the tyre. How do the soapy water(bubbles) help with sealing it all up?

There is no need for the valve.

Is the ture seated in the rim strips.Load a pic of what you have done so far.I have never had a problem with a 16 gram bomb.

What tyres are you useing?

Edited by gummibear

There is no need for the valve.

Is the ture seated in the rim strips.Load a pic of what you have done so far.I have never had a problem with a 16 gram bomb.

What tyres are you useing?

They are Maxiss crossmark, non-ust though. Maybe why its not sealing properly, from what I know they should be ok to use. Why do you say no need for the valve?

Edited by Caerus

Another tip - after youve assembled the whole lot (stans in, tires on, walls soaped, told kids to go play somewhere else)

Hold onto the skewer, place the wheel on the floor pressing down so the rim pinches the tire, roll the wheel all the way around a couple of times, its distributes the stans, and bends the sidewalls into the correct positions.

You probably know the rest but what the heck - place wheel in the ground with valve at the bottom, again press down on the rim and quickly open up bomb. Should hear the bead 'cracking' into place.

Why do you say no need for the valve?

The Stans strips have a valve built in or if you go ghetto then the 20" BMX tube will have a valve.

A vavle is used with tubeless ready rims.

Edited by gummibear

Used Xmarks non-UST many times in conversions and they work just fine. The are prone to sidewall cuts, so just keep an eye out for that.

You may need some clean under wear when the tyre pops into place :D

First time I did it, I thought the tyre was exploding, nearly got a bloody heart attack.

Another tip - after youve assembled the whole lot (stans in, tires on, walls soaped, told kids to go play somewhere else)

Hold onto the skewer, place the wheel on the floor pressing down so the rim pinches the tire, roll the wheel all the way around a couple of times, its distributes the stans, and bends the sidewalls into the correct positions.

You probably know the rest but what the heck - place wheel in the ground with valve at the bottom, again press down on the rim and quickly open up bomb. Should hear the bead 'cracking' into place.

Hi IdeJongh

why with the valve at the bottom ? Will this not improve the chance of the bomb causing the sealant to form a ball or blob of rubber ? (Sealant container actually suggests 'not' using a bomb - because of the freezing/solidifying effect causing the ball of rubber to form ?)

I find rolling the tyre around first as you suggest, makes a mess with the stan sealant leaking all over the

place ? (and I don't think I add too much sealant) ? Rolling the wheel seems to move the beads more to the centre - exactly where I don't want them ?

Edited by Lounge Lizard