MTBers, How Do You Cope?

'Dale

Dude what car tyres you fitting at less then R500? Shoppig around at the moment and cant get anything other then chinese cr*p for less then R850 a shot :blink:

Ive only got 14" tyres, my landlord own wheel & steel in Durban, so got good prices. cheaper then the Conti tyre on my bike.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After Illovo two years ago in the mud, I vowed to never ride in the mud again. It isn't fun hearing your components wearing away!! My bike was about 5kg heavier after the ride and I lost about a kilo of paint in the process. My bike looked like sh!t after I had cleaned it. Had to strip it right down and do an "annual service". Cost me a fortune!

If you are careful about when, where and how you ride, there is no reason for the costs to be that vastly different between MTB and road. The maintenance intervals are a lot more frequent for MTB but if you do them yourself it saves you a lot.

That was a shocker of a race. I dont think you were alone in having to also pay a fortune to service the bike.

Ive only got 14" tyres, my landlord own wheel & steel in Durban, so got good prices. cheaper then the Conti tyre on my bike.

You lucky to have a connection there man, iv got 17's and really feel the pinch like now when i need 4 more :blink:

That is one of the hardest contacts to acquire!! You are a lucky guy. Make sure he stays your friend! Plenty contacts for spares, paint etc, but try find a contact for well priced tyres and they seem to be like rocking horse turds... Non existent!! :o

You lucky to have a connection there man, iv got 17's and really feel the pinch like now when i need 4 more :blink:

What is scary is that your car's tires will do multiple times the distance you'll get on your mtb's tires.

On the price topic - I replaced my rear hub and spokes two weeks ago as I walked out of my LBS I realized I just spent "a Game Special" on a very small component of my bike - Eish

What is scary is that your car's tires will do multiple times the distance you'll get on your mtb's tires.

On the price topic - I replaced my rear hub and spokes two weeks ago as I walked out of my LBS I realized I just spent "a Game Special" on a very small component of my bike - Eish

True on the multiple distance ;) im putting off doing my spokes but will have to in the near future aswel! problem is those game specials arent as cheap as they used to be either!! :D

Just look at the cost of your suspension alone, could buy a decent entry level roadbike for that.

Riding a mtb in the mud is when most of the damage happens.

After 3 days in the mud at Sani2C last year I spent about R11k on new components.This did include R3k of new parts for the front fork.

Hektiek!!

:eek: