First Timer - RoadBike Purchase Advice

The Bastion

Right, I am a complete novice to cycling. I live in Cape Town and the Argus bug has bitten me.

Obvious next step: Purchase my first bike since I was a kid.

The Problem: Either Bike Shops are great sales people and know their field or the are trying to drain me of every last cent.

I had done a bit of Googling and decided that a Scott Speedster S50 was a good starter bike. I liked the look and reviews I had read, no rocket ship but it seemed like a solid piece of kit. I basically went into my local store expecting to pick one up or place an order. After visiting 2 shops now my head is spinning, both basically said I was wasting money unless I was buying in the R15k range.

I am not looking to race the bike. Commuting to gym/work occasionally, weekend rides and the occasional Argus or other local ride will be the life of this bike.

I am looking for something fairly bulletproof as I probably will probably not be gentle on the bike as I am a novice. What can you my far more experienced cyclists suggest?

How about buying second hand? I'd suggest you have a look at cycle traders :

268 Albert Road,

Woodstock,

In my experience they source good bikes and are of good advice. I found that buying a second hand bike in good condition and taking good care of it pays in the long term. It will still have a decent selling price after a couple of years should you decide to change ride in the future and they are great to ride while you own them.

hope that helps

Scott Speedster is better than most. Can advise on 105 components. Can't go wrong with this. Resale will also be better.

This is exactly how I started and never had to upgrade.

My 2 cents worth - good luck

Nothing wrong with a Scott Speedster. Two of my friends has Speedsters and they are doing fine. If the salesperson at the shop tells you that you are waisting your time to buy below 12K, ask him if he/she wants the sale or not. Then you will see how opinions will be changed.

I can also recommend looking for a decent second hand bike. Just get a pel who knows something about cycling that can give you advice. If you really want to buy new, I'll say go for the Scott. You know what your specific needs are and what you describe in your post, the Speedster is more than enough. In the end... It does not matter how expensive the bike is... It wants to be peddaled to get somewhere.

Good luck with the purchase!

Great advice guys...thanks!

This really is a great forum. I am keeping my eye open for a good used medium bike that can serve me well.

I shopped around for 4 months before I bought my bike and it was definitely worth the time.Rather take the time. No turning back once the purchase is done.

My first bike was a Fiji Newest 1.0 (tiagra/105 components) I did 2 sub 3 94.7 on that bike.

the best advice i can give you, get the right setup/size.

Look for a bike that you can fall in love with.

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE BIKE!!!!

post-1415-0-93932500-1300804329.jpg

Edited by Gman1834

My first bike was a Fiji Newest 1.0 (tiagra/105 components) I did 2 sub 3 94.7 on that bike.

Good advice... I cant bring myself to buy a Raleigh :)

Good advice... I cant bring myself to buy a Raleigh :)

:rolleyes: it does not need to be a Raleigh. You have to like the bike, and be comfortable.!!!

A Raleigh with 105 components is a lot better than a (insert your top brand) GAINT with sora 8 speed. :clap:

:rolleyes: it does not need to be a Raleigh. You have to like the bike, and be comfortable.!!!

A Raleigh with 105 components is a lot better than a (insert your top brand) GAINT with sora 8 speed. :clap:

True that...but my Merida with Sora has taken me a few nice places....and I only paid R3500 for it :thumbup:

I think the guys in your area should recommend a good bike shop where the sales guys are there to help you and not remove as much money as possible from you.

I have had many sub R10k bikes that have taken me to sub 3 100km rides and then taken me to the coffee shop on the weekend for breakfast. I dont think you'd be too happy with an out and out race bike by what you've said.

I have a mate with a scott speedster and many have a time trying to keep up with him ! :thumbup:

Last time I checked the specialized Allez was a good price and a good value racer/commuter

http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/images/bikes/bikes/bike261.jpg

Edited by Klaus

Look what I just found... A Fugi Newest 1.0 for R3500. Going to see it tomorrow. Should I go for it?

http://capetown.gumt...QAdIdZ269037040